Classical Flute

MuraGXIII

I posted this under "Microphone Techniques" at first but then realized that the mic choice category would be more relevant:

So I've entered the home recording world, and it is a lot to take in. I currently have a Zoom H4n, and it's nice, but I've been thinking about a better microphone so that I can get closer to the sound I want. As a classical musician, I see lots of stereo pencil mic setups for ensembles but see exclusively LDC mics for solo recording sessions, so I am confused. Can you guys point me in the right direction as far as SDC/LDC and brands for a studio microphone? I'd like to get a clear, rolling texture, not that pale jazz flute sound, and I wanna keep it under 300. Thanks in advance!

A Rode NT1-A (LDC) or NT5 (SDC) both fall under $300. Right at your price limit is the Blue Microphones Bluebird (LDC). I have been happy with both Rode and Blue microphones.

Again, I'm a noob, so I don't know if I should be recording in stereo. In fact, I have seen that classical flutists in the studio record with a single large diaphragm condenser. I'm open to suggestions.

Flutes have quite a limited physical width - as you get down towards the bottom C, the output progressively moves towards your mouth as the pads go down, and it's a sealed at the end tube. As a result - there's not too much width to be recorded, hence why one microphone tends to be the norm. You'll find more changes to the sound from adjusting the miking position than from changes to the actual mic. The idea to use omnis is interesting - but spaced omnis in my experience demand a really good room, or they sound a bit thin. One thing with flutes is the mechanics - they all clack a bit. Some mics seem to make it worse - not really sure why, but my 414 records flutes quite badly really. The flute sound is there, but some players seem to have a very percussive technique. I quite like the old AKG451s, they sound quite nice and open, and seem to resist the clacking a bit. You have to make sure the breath direction isn't aimed at them, but I find overhead, a foot away and a foot above, pointing towards the lip plate works for me. If you want the darker, more mellow tone, then maybe a ribbon? Again, a good recording space will then be important. The jazz flute sound, if I'm picking up your meaning is more down to getting a bit more breath into the sound.

I usually record flute with a single condenser, sometimes an SDC (Rode NT5), sometimes an LDC (AKG or Rode). It depends on what is at hand at the time. I stick the mike pretty well above the flute, aimed at the mouth, and about 30cms away.

Some like a 'pure' flute sound. But I like all the noises associated with flute playing.

Back