Christmas come early?

andydeedpoll

i do love smilies...
hey there,

i have yet to buy my first condenser microphone (small or large diaphram) and i was looking on the website of a studio-equipment-type-thing company, and i saw the Beyer Opus 52 for £62 (thats about $120), when i saw that they had the Rode NT1000 on sale for just £140 ($270), reduced from £220 ($430)

i'm pretty new to this whole thing, so as long as something actually works at all im not going to be incredibly picky about whether its good for 'dark' vocals etc etc... as long as it takes some sound thats thrown at it and sends it down the lead im not fussed :p ... seriously though, i'd like to be able to use this mic for pretty much everything you'd use a condenser mic for ... vocals, drumkit overhead, acoustic guitar, even for recording trombone duets and all things fun!

basically, its going to be a learning tool... and im quite interested in the NT1000...

anyone got any opinions?

thanks in advance,

Andy

Have you thought about an SP B1? £65 and by all accounts a 'must try'.

I'm not particularly struck by the Rødes I've tried, for £140 I'd want to get an Audio Technica probably.

cool thanks for the advice :)

i wont say i know nothing about microphones, but i dont know much, and i think i saw a huge reduction on a mic while listening to my friends ex-ska band (its their last gig tomorrow :eek: :( ), and, well... who knows what happened after that :rolleyes:

the B1 does sound cool... im presuming its a bit of an all rounder? like i said in the previous post, im particularly interested in recording some trombone duets and quartets (oh what fun!) but, unless i'm getting even Worse at searching for things on the internet, not many people actually record trombones... everyones missing out!! trombones are the grooviest instrument ever created! :rolleyes: :p

anyway, im getting side tracked.

ive just looked on my all-smiles faveourite equipment selling website and the B1's dirt cheap :D christmas Has come early :p

merry christmas :D

andydeedpoll said:
hey there,

i have yet to buy my first condenser microphone (small or large diaphram) and i was looking on the website of a studio-equipment-type-thing company, and i saw the Beyer Opus 52 for £62 (thats about $120), when i saw that they had the Rode NT1000 on sale for just £140 ($270), reduced from £220 ($430)

i'm pretty new to this whole thing, so as long as something actually works at all im not going to be incredibly picky about whether its good for 'dark' vocals etc etc... as long as it takes some sound thats thrown at it and sends it down the lead im not fussed :p ... seriously though, i'd like to be able to use this mic for pretty much everything you'd use a condenser mic for ... vocals, drumkit overhead, acoustic guitar, even for recording trombone duets and all things fun!

basically, its going to be a learning tool... and im quite interested in the NT1000...

anyone got any opinions?

thanks in advance,

Andy

Do you mean the Opus 53? - it wouldn't be my first (or fourth) mic. It's cheap fora reason, its platic and uses an electret capsule probably made in china. I was tempted by them once because they're so dinky - but saw sense and got a pair of oktavas MK012's.

As a first mic I can definitely recomend the B1 - it will do most things adequately. If vocals are first priority a Marshall V67 would come before the B1. When you've outgrown them you can always stick em in front of a guitar cab.

andydeedpoll said:
... as long as something actually works at all im not going to be incredibly picky about whether its good for 'dark' vocals etc etc... as long as it takes some sound thats thrown at it and sends it down the lead im not fussed ...

If that's your only requirement, then mic should do. Just grab the first one you see with a price sticker on it.

thanks for the advice.

i shall be ordering the B1 soon and recording everything that makes a sound :D

hehe

thanks again

Andy

if you were gonna spend £140 on the Rode I'd go for a pair of B1s, then you can mic vocals and an amp at the same time or X/Y an acoustic guitar, overheads for drums as you mentioned. The B1 works very well in that price bracket for all of the above.

everything in THIS SONG was recorded using a Studio Projects B1 (right click the link and save as)

thanks, but i think i'll stick with the one for now.

i was only really thinking about spending £140 because it had such a massive reduction on the Rode, and if i decided to get one in six months time when theres no reduction then i might regret having not bought one now :o

i might end up buying a second one later on though.

thanks a lot for the advice everyone.

Andy

Don't overlook ribbon mics. I'm reading many posts from guys prefering ribbons as they tend to nicely warm up digital recordings. I mention this especially as I see you're in London and would have access to the new T.bone RB500 that alot of us guys over here would like to get our hands on, but can't. They're sold by a European "e" seller called Thomann. Do a Google on them and you may just change your mind.
Oh ya. Forgot to mention they're cheap :D

Andy - I think you've made the right decision for now. Let us know how you find it!

Old Crow - I will have it on my wishlist ... :)

Back