Choosing the right mic for the job

Tomm Williams

Since this general subject comes up so frequently, I thought I might pass along an experience a fellow sound provider had several years ago. Now his situation was live sound but the potential is also there in the studio.

This associate owns one of the largest and most successful SR operations in the No. CA, NV or So. OR region. He's been in business over 35 years so he has seen about everything. He told me that he once was doing production for the local philharmonic who was hosting a young Chinese phenom. One of those irritating kids who are still popping pimples while performing flawless Mozart. If memory serves, he played Cello.

During soundcheck, my friend tried numerous mics including a U87 but could not find what he wanted to hear. Out of desperation, he set up some model of Behringer he had and that was "it". In all of his subsequent events ( last I spoke to him) this mic never turned out to be "that" mic again. Apparently it was the right choice on just that one event.

When folks ask "what mic will give me this sound" (whatever it may be) as much as the great folks on this forum attempt to answer the question, it's really a near impossible question to answer. There are SO many variables in the studio or stage that explains why
most of us (especially Moresound) own so many mics. You'll know you found the right mic when you finally find the right mic. No more, no less.

^ +1

This is sooooo true. This goes along with the "What's the best_____" question. The short answer is that there isn't a "best" anything. As a certified gear junkie, I have struggled with coming to the reality that my music issues have almost nothing to do with my gear, but with me. The point is quite simply this: Use what you have available to you, and make the most of it. Your studio will never be "Perfect" so get over that concept.

Back