Choosing between 2 mics, and two mic preamps

Mecharon1

I'm going to be buying a new microphone setup, and I've narrowed it down to 2 mics and 2 mic preamps. The mics are the Shure PG42 and the Blue Spark, and the preamps are the PreSonus Audiobox iOne and the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Either way, they're going to be used with the Blue The Pop and the Kopul Premier Quad Pro 5000. I'm going to be doing mostly voiceovers and commentary. Because prices are negligible, which combination would be a better buy for me?

Between those two audio interfaces (they're not just preamps, they're also digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital converters as well...typically referred to as audio interfaces), they're both pretty close in terms of quality. I personally like Focusrite's preamps a little better in this price range, but there's nothing wrong with Presonus' preamps either. I don't think that you would be displeased with either for voiceover work.

As for the microphones, they're both budget-friendly large-diaphragm condensers with cardioid polar patterns. Keep in mind that they'll both be very sensitive to environmental noise (HVAC, computer fans, kids playing in the street outside, etc.). If you have a nice, quiet setting that's fine. A little acoustic treatment wouldn't hurt either, for taming reflections in the room.

For voiceover work, you might look into a nice dynamic mic. They'll be more forgiving about environmental noise. Although they require more gain, and preamps on audio interfaces in this price range tend to be a little noisy when the gain is cranked up.

Have you auditioned either mic yet? If not, I'd advise buying from a place that will let you do a 100% refund return within a certain amount of time. Different voices/different mics - not everything works well together.

Alright, I think I'll go with the Focusrite Scarlett Studio, but I'm still undecided on the mic. I know they're both fantastic, so I'd like someone who has experience with both to speak up. *hint hint*

Yea, I've come across that before. My comment is at the bottom, and the reply I got is a bit vague (though I understant why). I also like the specs of the Spark more, but specs are most certainly not everything.

Yes, I did have the Shure X2U listed, but I did some more research after I posted (obviously the correct order to do things on forums) and came across the PreSonus Audiobox iOne. Because the price difference is irrelevant, I still haven't decided. Also, I found this:
image.jpg

Just to confuse things, if it was my money I wouldn't buy either of those mics. For the same price I'd buy the sE X1 VOCAL PACK.

Agree on the Focusrite interface though.

Don't worry, I'm not Valve. I can count to 3 (microphones). I listened to some audio clips of the sE X1 compared to the Blue Spark and Shure PG42. The sound quality is similar, but that deal is pretty good. Unless anyone has something else to say, I may go with that.

Good price on that bundle. Most places get $199 for the mic alone. If the sEX1 is anything similar to the sound of the sE2200C II I have, it also would be a good choice.

The X1 is fairly similar to the 2200A and is certainly a sound I like. I prefer it to the PG42 (but haven't heard the Blue Spark).

Back