China Mics! Would you?

Like Audio Technica AT2020 and others, Studio Projects, AKG Perception series (maybe others), EV320, etc?

Or Nuemann or AKG? China makes almost all of the mics now, and really has done a large chunk of even the allegedly european made mics since 1953 or so

The sE range of excellent mics aren't just manufactured in China--it's a Chinese company that designs mics and builds them there. I own a bunch of their stuff and it's all great.

Also, I do live sound mixing in theatres and all my headset mics are now Chinese cheapies. They don't sound as good as expensive MKE2s or similar but with a bit of EQ they're quite acceptable and are cheap enough to be treated as a disposable when an inevitable sweat out or crush connector happens it's $25 rather the $300.

I'm a convert - completely. I love searching out odd ones, importing a few, then keeping usually 2 or 4 then selling the rest on ebay - I've never had a poor one. Most are fine, a few really nice and occasionally one will be exceptional.

I've been a great fan of the under-rated Behringer C2 SDC condensers. They are great for live work and are a fantastic substitute for SM57s for instrument miking.

No, the question bordered on stupid : ) When everything at Walmart goes up 500-pct, we might be buying less from China

Wow... Dudes, it's become more interesting! haha.
So, what's those "real china brands" that you grabbed from Alibaba? I really wish to hear from you (other than sE, Behringer and those common's)

Nothing wrong with Chinese mics. China is perfectly capable of making quality products as well as junk.

They will make things at whatever quality the designer requests and is willing to pay for.

Its funny how some peope will bash "Made in China", yet do it on their iPhone.

Gee, wonder where that's made.
:D

Have and would, half tor more of the name brands are made in China.

Then there are the Chinese name brand mics that are made in China like sE Electronics. They get really good reviews, I wish I had one LOL.

Don't for one minute think that quality can't be made in China. I remember back in the 70's when everyone thought stuff from Japan was junk, we were proved so wrong.

Alan.

I have one but had it modded and now it sounds great. It sounded awful (brittle/crispy) out of the box.

I remember back in the 70's when everyone thought stuff from Japan was junk, we were proved so wrong.

There was a time when "Made in Japan" was synonymous with "cheap, nasty, and poorly made".

The Japanese manufacturing industry matured, and Japan's reputation for quality grew.

But then other South East Asian countries entered the picture, and they, like China, suffered quality problems in the way that Japan once did.

They too have progressed strongly over the last few decades.

I have pre war cameras that are very well made. They could could make a rifle, for sure. POST WAR, THEY JUST DID WHAT THEY COULD

2092718840_c4060f1fe0_o.jpg

This one isn't German, but it is pretty good quality. Natch', this one acquired a german high speed shutter and lens along the way. Possibly at the dealer, as they made re-calibrating the rangefinder a up-front feature

In the '50s, I thought Japan was where pot metal came from. hahah

I have early '60s TEAC decks that are good enough that Berlant-Concertone put their name on them, and, of course, we got Nikon. Dearer to the Audio heart, possibly, is post war Mullard and Philips setting up tube manufacturing in Japan. In the '60s soldiers were buying cameras and hi-fi out of the PX and they were not buying junk

I sit here and look at my computer, my preamps, my mics, my underwear... Hmm. Which isn't made in China?

Guessing the steak I had for dinner is the only thing I have touched in the last 5 hours of my life that wasn't made in China. Oh wait, the Budweiser was totally made in US. :)

Guys,

This is by no means any form of sales pitch, but in reference to the initial poster's question.

About five years ago, at a trade show I attend annually, there was a stand with a Chinese gentleman (he spoke about as much English as I spoke Chinese --- he did have a "sort of" (!!!!) translator with him), what he had on display was a range of microphones that included wireless, condenser (large and small), goose-neck and dynamic.

I had not heard of the brand, but the prices were stupid (eg 600meg wireless including belt pack and lapel mic --- $aus84).

The end result was that at the conclusion of the event I made an offer and took all of his mics ---- saved him taking them back to China.

Having tried the mics --- all designed and manufactured in their own factory -- I was so impressed that I asked if I could become their agent in Australia.

The mics (especially the wireless versions) have been used in a number of prominent productions with great success and the others have been used on a number of recordings. Over the next year we are going to be undertaking a major sales push with the mics.

So, to answer the initial question --- If made by a legitimate manufacturer, I would definitely say go ahead, as the prices are/should be much better than well known brands. AND remember even with some of the unknown manufacturers there is often the old "SUNDAY NIGHT SHIFT" (!!!!!!!) where famous and VERY costly mics are manufactured under a different name and sold for a much lower price.

David

Maybe MICs aren't high on my list, but I regularly buy cottage Hi-Fi. I've got a extra DSD256/PCM384 USB player just sitting here. And I get china mail camera accessories, etc..

Back