A chicken-shit, pathetic trick by a local studio

Harvey Gerst

A chicken-shit, pathetic trick by a local studio:

This one takes the cake. Most of you know me, and my work over the years. We've built up a pretty good reputation for recording in North Texas, and we also have a pretty good reputation for being nice people.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that our website
(http://www.itrstudio.com) has been hijacked by Goodnight Audio, another recording studio in Dallas.

If you add an "s" to our URL, changing it to http://www.itrstudios.com ("studios", plural), it takes you to their Goodnight Audio website.

They're way bigger than we are (but I doubt if their studio originally came with wheels), and they've got a lot of nice toys. I never felt they were a threat, but apparently we're enough of a threat to them to have them try and mislead our customers.

They also claim that George Augsburger designed their rooms, but George told me that our studio is the only place he's ever designed in North Texas.

But how lame is that: to take our name, add an "s", and hope somebody makes a mistake when typing our name, so they can get business?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda pissed at the moment. They bought the URL 12 days ago, but we just found out today. I guess it's actually kinda pathetic, really.

"Chickenshit, lame, and pathetic" kinda covers it for me. Sorry for the rant.

What a bunch of turds. Maybe a friendly resident hacker will repay the favor to their websites. hahahahahahahahaha!

H2H

Harvey Gerst said:
A chicken-shit, pathetic trick by a local studio:

This one takes the cake. Most of you know me, and my work over the years. We've built up a pretty good reputation for recording in North Texas, and we also have a pretty good reputation for being nice people.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that our website
(http://www.itrstudio.com) has been hijacked by Goodnight Audio, another recording studio in Dallas.

If you add an "s" to our URL, changing it to http://www.itrstudios.com ("studios", plural), it takes you to their Goodnight Audio website.

They're way bigger than we are (but I doubt if their studio originally came with wheels), and they've got a lot of nice toys. I never felt they were a threat, but apparently we're enough of a threat to them to have them try and mislead our customers.

They also claim that George Augsburger designed their rooms, but George told me that our studio is the only place he's ever designed in North Texas.

But how lame is that: to take our name, add an "s", and hope somebody makes a mistake when typing our name, so they can get business?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda pissed at the moment. They bought the URL 12 days ago, but we just found out today. I guess it's actually kinda pathetic, really.

"Chickenshit, lame, and pathetic" kinda covers it for me. Sorry for the rant.

You're worried about them? Christ, I have better equipment at home and I am not a pro (anymore).

This happened to Massive Mastering. The guy lifted pictures and text of his website. I guess it is becoming common. Don't these people have anything else to do with their time? In the "good old days" studios were too busy recording music, Now, I guess they are too busy trying to steal the little buisiness that is out there.

You may be able to sue. What do you think would happen if you went out and bought the domain name microsofts.com and started up an online business selling mac software. I would imagine the suits would be all over you. I'd talk to a lawyer. :mad:

OK I don't know about you guys, but when I first looked at this thread and opened the links, I saw the webpages that Harvey was talking about.

Now I open the plural web site, and I get Harveys site also....

Is it just me ?

WTF!!!!!!!!! It was going to the goodnight site. Now it isn't. Somebody must have smelled lawsuit and got smart. Although they would have to be redirecting that URL to Harvey's place.

Mighty damn strange.

Hey, weird. Something has changed since this thread was started. I saw the Goodnight site earlier, but now the link is taking me to Indian Trail. Hmm, the power of internet bitching?

MadAudio said:
Hey, weird. Something has changed since this thread was started. I saw the Goodnight site earlier, but now the link is taking me to Indian Trail. Hmm, the power of internet bitching?

That's amazing. Well Harvey, there you go. No worries eh!

MadAudio said:

Yah! I was used to that studio's link, what happened? I now get some place called "Indian Trail Studio", who is that? Someone hi-jacked the Goodnight site!

Yes, Andy, the owner of Goodnight, called and apologized for George's actions. They've redirected the link to our studio.

Thanks to everybody for your support.

Harvey Gerst said:
Yes, Andy, the owner of Goodnight, called and apologized for George's actions. They've redirected the link to our studio.

Thanks to everybody for your support.

Thank you and...Goodnight.

gemsbok said:
i always wanted to open a fast food chain called MC donald without the "s" L.O.L.

Sorry, this is off-topic, but your post reminded me of the movie "Coming to America" where they have the McDowell's restaurant. . .and the owner in the back reading a McDonald's handbook. . . .funny funny stuff.

-Brian

I believe the children are the future...........damn boy what ya got under there......only natural berries and juices...........boy that nothing but a ultraperm!!!!!

Holy Crap Batman!!!

Wow Harvest Gerst!
I was so pissed off when I started reading this thread I was gonna give everybody here George's home address and phone. I see He registered this name 8-13-04.
But the good news is He redirected too point to your ITR page. He'll probably keep it this way for a Month or two due to the Monthly fee thing.
Keep an eye on Him though...remember He owns that name for two years.

You might even consider buying Him out on it.
You can set it up to redirect for about $6.00 per Month
Remember most people say "Studio's" in a conversation.....So they just might spell it that way also.
Anyway glad to see this was resolved without bloodshed.

C

HangDawg said:
You may be able to sue. What do you think would happen if you went out and bought the domain name microsofts.com and started up an online business selling mac software. I would imagine the suits would be all over you. I'd talk to a lawyer. :mad:

actually, Microsoft did get in a dispute with someone over their domain name recently. Some web designer kid named Mike Rowe from Canada wanted to create a website. And he thought it would be funny to use his name and throw soft on the end.... mikerowesoft.com
Funny idea, but microsoft didn't think so. So they threatened to sue saying people would be confused when wanting to visit the world's leader in computer software's site. I don't know about you guys, but I sure have never heard of Microsoft until then....you know, I would have been pretty confused and probably would have tried to buy Windows softare of the site ( :rolleyes: )!!!

Anyway, check here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/19/offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/

Back