Cheap way of warming up overhead mics??

turnitdown

$10 PayPal=Your Ad Here!!
I don't currently record real drum sets.

I may in the future, and have a question regarding overhead mics.
I have a matched pair of MXL 603s that I could use, but I hear they are rather bright on cymbals.

Here's my question... Can I take the bright edge off of these by using foam windscreens or should I just use subtle EQ???

Another option would be to purchase another KEL HM-1 which is a much warmer mic. (No high end sizzle)

Any other suggestions for taming bright overhead mics? I never have these problems using samples or Groove Agent... ;)

The foam won't (and shouldn't) change the sound. Here's what I do:

603's -> DMP3 -> Rane ME15 eq -> soundcard

I use the Rane for some slight eq'ing and for level control into the soundcard. FWIW, I think the 603's reputed harshness on cymbals isn't all that harsh.

Great..... Thanks for the fast reply...
I'd always rather cut a bit than boost via EQ...
What frequency do you usually end up touching?

Oh, I also have some ECM8000's.... I wonder how they would do, although they are omni...(???)

I can hardly wait to get a chance to record some real drums...
I'll probably get some guy with a dead set, and need something even brighter!!!! :D

try using SM57s, not too bright on cymbals...

Live maybe, but I don't think I'd use 57's for recording....
This is based on the sonic differences I've experienced giong from 57's to condensers on everything from acoustic guitar to vocals to amps.

Also... I've only got (you guessed it) one SM57.... :eek:

:D

i've learned that its best to avoid thinking about these kinds of details until you have some first hand experience... way too much stress. do you have any friends with acoustic kits, or even just some cymbals (where most of the high-end lies)? set up in the room you'll be recording in and record away with your 603's. this will give you a heads up about what you'll have to do and get you some experience with the conditions in which you will be recording. the room will impact the sound a lot, try different mic placements too, like a spaced pair or xy above and in front of the kit. see how it sounds, then have fun with eq and compression (if you even need it). the whole point is to just get as much direct experience as you can so you aren't running a million different scenerios through your head at one time. it helped me, and i am currently building up my studio kit based on what i liked/didn't like about some of my friends' setups.

p.s. just a note to consider: i really did not get the sounds i wanted out of drums until i started using the overheads for the whole image, instead of picking up cymbals. from there, add mics to suit for better attack/presence/shits and giggles.

Yes... what you said.... Thanks. That's good advice.
I should be stressing over my Xmas shopping, if I'm gonna stress over something.... ;) ;)

Using a de-esser on overhead tracks is actually a pretty good way to take some of the edge off of the cymbal crashes and what not.

That or a multiband comrpessor, which is basically the same thing I suppose.

It will take some finessing, but it can help a great deal once you get the right settings.

Thanks evryone... a matching HM-1 is gonna wait....
My wife's been "shopping", need I say more?? :eek:

PS- Just finsihed migrating all my rack stuff to a Raxxess 12 slant over 16 straight economy rack.... Good deal for $160..... BUT, they pack them like shit, and they get damaged. I tried 2, they both arrived w/ scratchs, dents, etc....

Correction

MadAudio said:
The foam won't (and shouldn't) change the sound.
Yes it does... putting a foam windscreen on a mic cuts or muffles the highs and therefore changes the sound.

Back