Cheap vocal/acoustic mic

ColdAsh

Ive got a few dollars left over to spend on a new mic. I'm mainly going to use it for acoustic guitar and possbly vocals. In a few mounths im going to get an NTK so the mic I buy now will just be for experimenting and getting songs figured out but I'd like to have a mic that will have some use long term. The only other mic i have ATM is an SM57. So heres the two ive narrowed it down to:
Rode NT3 $340
Shure BG4.1 $500
Can i record decent vocals with the BG4.1?. Which one do you guys think works better on acoustic guitar and which one will have more long tem use. (I play alternative/rpck so drums and guitars and sometimes piano)
Cheers
Edward

I think you should buy a pair of small diaphram condensers because they will work great as drum overheads and for acoustic guitar. You will have a great vocal mic once you have the NTK, so think ahead to building a mic cabinet for other uses.

I would consider buying a pair of Audio Technica 4041's or Oktava MC012's.

Gidge,

Marshalls aren't available in Aust...........yet!

ColdAsh,

Where in Aust., are you and why the NTK specifically?

Peace..........ChrisO :cool:

Wide Awake is right..get a pair of Mc012's or some Marshall 603's (I think thats the model). YMMV.

Ok wide awake i'll look at those two. Any idea how muc hthey are? And Ausrock the reason im going for NTK is because i've heard realy good things about them.

I'm not knocking the NTK, but there are other mics available that are just as good, maybe better for similar or less dollars.

I own a Studio Projects C1 which is regularly used on acoustic and vocals and believe that they are possibly the best mic available for the money. The C3 is another step up and can be had for similar dollars to the NTK.

The following is a quote from a post I put up a few months back. It wasn't a "scientific" comparison but it was done fairly to all mics and the guys that ultimately made the judgements were not aware of which mic was which until it was all over.

QUOTE..............."Last night I had the opportunity to compare the following mics; AKG414 B-TL, AKG C1000, AKG C3000, Studio Projects C1 and a Neumann U-87.
For the record we set the 5 mics up in a close cluster, ran each one through my Soundcraft Studio console, (EQ was flat on all channels) and through to seperate tracks on my Fostex D160 H/d recorder. Faders were at 0. The first run was done with gains set to maximise the signal from each mic, then 2 more recordings with all gains set the same to compare the signal strength of each mic.
We decided to record acoustic guitar, (newly strung) in preference to voice, and the outcome...........................

AKG414 B-TL...... (Yes I know it is supposedly baised to vocals) Second lowest signal strength, very "muddy" lacking top-end definition. Imagine having cotton wool stuck in your ears. The guy that owns it was shattered.
AKGC1000...... (not a large diaphragm condenser) Lowest signal strength, clear defined sound but lacking body compared to the following 3 mics.
AKGC3000......Third highest or lowest (OK it was in the middle) signal strength, clear defined sound across the tonal range, somewhat transparent or glassy quality. Definitely not unpleasant.
Studio Projects C1......Signal strength was almost identical to the U-87, clear defined sound across the tonal range, definitely true to the original acoustic sound.
Neumann U-87......Signal strength, "as above". Again a clear defined sound, but with more bottom end or "body" not heard naturally from the guitar. Unpleasant?.....NO. Unnatural?......YES.

Am I surprised at the results?........definitely, even though I had read the glowing reviews if the C1 and the comparisons made by some people of high repute to the U-87, and considering I bought the C1 on the basis of these reviews, I really expected the U-87 to stand head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe in other circumstances with certain instruments or vocalists it may, but tonight, with an acoustic guitar, this U-87 was eclipsed by the C1.
And the guy that owns the AKGs and the U-87 will be buying 2 C1s as soon as he can get the money together. Enough said! "

Peace..........ChrisO :cool:

Ok... I'll take it...

Same comment as always... This kinda test is kinda not very representative... Each mic needs a different placing etc... You can probably look in that same thread for a more extended version of this comment. :p

The Oktava MC012 (matched pair) are $426 at www.oktava.com

The Audio Technica 4041 (pair) are $375 at www.8thstreet.com

The Marshall MXL603 (pair) are probably around $180 available at many places on the internet. Try www.8thstreet.com or www.musiciansfriend.com

Those are U.S. prices, I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for Australia. The Oktava mikes come with 2 different capsules and would probably be the most versatile. The Shure SM81 and Neumann KM184 are popular in pro studios but they are kind of expensive for a home studio.

Wide Awake's right. The NTK will do the work for vocals and other stuff too. Get a matched pair of Oktava MC012.

The AKG C1000 is also a great mic, a bit darker or warmer in the sound compared to the MC012 which is very HIFI.

But, an acoustic guitar recorded with the NTK and a MC012 is probably one of the best setups if the budget is low and does'nt allow "vintage valve mics".

Keep the setup versatile.

Hans
www.hagen.nu

To give you some idea of Aust., pricing.......

Rode NTK $1495
Octava MC012 $750 each
AT4041 $549
C1 $649
C3 $1089

These are recommended retail, usually stores will take up to 20% or 25% off this.

My point in earlier posts was that there are a lot of good mics out there and sometimes it isn't necessary to spend a lot of dollars to get a good mic.

Roel,
I never claimed our comparisons of mics to be totally definitive.......people are free to make up their own minds.

Peace......ChrisO :cool:

Well I've decided what to get. I found dela on the net of a Mindprint Envoice (which i was going to buy anyway) and an NT100 for $1379 Australian (about $690 US). So less than $500 for the mic.
Cant complain

Back