cheap ribbon mic

These Cascade mics look very interesting and surprisingly cheap. Have you tried any of those? How good are they? Do you need any special preamp for them?

...haven't used this mic, although I've had a few different models of the Chinese (Nady, Apex, etc.) ribbon mics...they are actually quite good for the price, but this Cascade model has been getting consistantly good reviews in some of the diehard audio publications...looks like an excellent opportunity to give a ribbon mic a try...they do require ample preamp gain to get the most out of them (60-65 dB), although Cascade does offer the Rode D-Power Plug adaptor which boosts gain inline (never used that so I can't comment on it's effectiveness)...at this price point, I'd give the "Fathead" a try...;)

I had a Nady RSM-2 ribbon, which I recently sold here and a Karma K-6 ribbon and I definitely preferred the Karma ribbon-- it's phantom powered, which seems to give more gain, and I got very good results with it on acoustic, electric amps, and as part of a composite sound for vocals. The Nady sounded good as well, so YMMV.
I haven't used the Fathead, but a good friend of mine does on his amps and he gets a great sound. I guess there's a number of good values right now-- particularly all of the ribbons that are part of Chance's group buy!

they do require ample preamp gain to get the most out of them (60-65 dB),

If you are recording guitar amps, drums, etc., I wouldn't worry about this at all. Finger picked acoustic guitar, perhaps. I personally am dying to get my hands on the group buy ribbons to start tweaking transformers. I have a feeling the lollipop ribbons from Chance's buy are nearly identical to the Fatheads but the Fatheads have some transformer love.

Right now, Karma k6 ribbon mics are on sale for $200 each and $400 for a matched pair.

Paj
8^)

I have a Nady RSM-4, which is the exact same mic as the Cascade Fathead, only no shockmount. I regret not picking up the cascade instead for only nine bucks more, but whatever.

The Nady has worked well on tenor sax, but I haven't gotten around to picking up a pop filter to try vocals. The pre I'm using is either input 1 or 2 on a firepod.

You can't go wrong having a ribbon around, anything in that one to two hundred dollar range is going to be useful.

I would jump on that K6 if they're really going for two bills.

I have a Nady RSM-4, which is the exact same mic as the Cascade Fathead, only no shockmount. I regret not picking up the cascade instead for only nine bucks more, but whatever.

The Nady has worked well on tenor sax, but I haven't gotten around to picking up a pop filter to try vocals. The pre I'm using is either input 1 or 2 on a firepod.

You can't go wrong having a ribbon around, anything in that one to two hundred dollar range is going to be useful.

Using the Firepod's pres for a ribbon? Good to know - I'm thinkin about gettin one a these Cascades, and Im picking up the Firepod at GC today :)

Right now, Karma k6 ribbon mics are on sale for $200 each and $400 for a matched pair.

Paj
8^)

...once I bought my Karma K6 I sold all my other Chinese (Nady, Apex, Stellar, etc.) ribbon mics...no comparison...the phantom-powered K6 is noticeably superior (IMHO) to the OEM Chinese ribbons that are all over the market...at $199 it's a steal...best-bang-for-the-buck!...

link here: http://karmaaudio.com/products.html

...on a side note, anyone looking for a great set of drum mics should check out Karma's clearance site...the Phoenix 7pc. mic kit is killer for the price...works great on live gigs and is surprisingly good in the studio...built like a tank too...$99 for 7 mics including two overhead SD condensers...

link here: http://karmaaudio.com/clearance.html

...once I bought my Karma K6 I sold all my other Chinese (Nady, Apex, Stellar, etc.) ribbon mics...no comparison...the phantom-powered K6 is noticeably superior (IMHO) to the OEM Chinese ribbons that are all over the market...at $199 it's a steal...best-bang-for-the-buck!...

yep-- again, a bargain price for an awesome mic imho. there are no other phantom-powered mics at this price point.

...on a side note, anyone looking for a great set of drum mics should check out Karma's clearance site...the Phoenix 7pc. mic kit is killer for the price...works great on live gigs and is surprisingly good in the studio...built like a tank too...$99 for 7 mics including two overhead SD condensers...

link here: http://karmaaudio.com/clearance.html

evil. just evil. my bank account can't take this kind of temptation.

and cusebaseman-- glad about the good timing. I think that inputs 1 and 2 have a higher impedance or some such. Good enough for the ribbon. Watch out, though-- there are only 2 phantom switches-- 1-4 and 5-8.

Are they suprisingly good for $99 or just suprisingly good. How is the kick mic?

Are they suprisingly good for $99 or just suprisingly good. How is the kick mic?

...they are surprisingly good, period (IMO)...my drummer normally uses a Shure Beta 52 and we found the kick mic in this set has a "tighter" response...of course, your experience may be different, but at $99 these are a terrific value...
...keep in mind that my drummer is the tour drummer for a number of major reggae artists (like Calton Coffie, formerly of Inner Circle, singer of the Cops TV show theme "Bad Boys") and the sound techs on tour have been impressed with these mics as well (one sound tech ordered both the $99 drum kit and 2 matched pair of the Karma K-Micros to use as utility mics, the day after he first worked with my drummer)...
...I recommend them without reservation...I mean $99...and they are built very sturdily (again IMHO)...

I may pick them up, drums are the only thing that I have nothing for right now. I like AKG C414s for over head and some big expensive sony broadcasting mic for kick, the toms and snare I can get good sounds from a lot of cheaper mics. I don't think I'll be able to afford two C 414s and whatever the sony is for quite a while so these should be better than nothing.

I may pick them up, drums are the only thing that I have nothing for right now. I like AKG C414s for over head and some big expensive sony broadcasting mic for kick, the toms and snare I can get good sounds from a lot of cheaper mics. I don't think I'll be able to afford two C 414s and whatever the sony is for quite a while so these should be better than nothing.

...well, let's be reasonable...a $99 seven-piece mic kit won't compare to 2-C414s and any Sony mic...but they will be a very useable addition to your mic cabinet...;)

Yea, those are just the reason I haven't picked anything up for drums yet. I will be a lot more apt to like something at this price. Too bad they aren't letting anyone order them right now.

. . .

Actually, I ordered a RSM-4 to hear the difference between it and a Fathead. I can't attest to the circuitry, but the ribbons are spec'd differently (Nady = 6 micron; Fathead = 2.5 micron).

Another pair of ribbon mics under $100 is the Apex 205 and 210. From my readings, the less expensive 205 gets the better rap.

I'm glad to get the +ve reinforcement on the K6 ribbons---I just pulled the trigger on a matched pair and a K58 (also on sale). If I bought the K6's a month ago, the matched pair would have cost me almost twice what they're going for now!

G.A.S. is a terrible thing . . .

Paj
8^)

BTW, ditto the comments on the Karma 7-pc. drum mic set. What a bargain. I'm getting great Sennheiser-like ("The drums just got bigger!") results with them live. I think if I were going to recommend the least expensive stage & studio, dynamic-condenser, LDC/SDC, instrument-vocal combination, on a $200-and-under budget, it might just be the Karma kit and the choice of a GXL3000, M177, V67G, SP-B1, or JM37. The karma dynamics reinforce really well, are especially sweet on toms, and the condensers are clear and hot. The tom mics might even do as good duty on vocals as a 57 would.

Last edited:
Oooooooooooooooooooo...

I'm feeling dizzy................

*left hand keeps stretching towards billfold, right hand clacks in product code*

Got GAS attackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...........................

:D

Back