Cheap live vocals microphone?

clay1st

Hi,

I'm looking for a microphone to amp some vocals, mostly rap and spoken word, in a live setting. (i.e. there will also be loud music - so feedback is an issue)

Could anyone recommend some of the cheap models available for this purpose? (not looking to spend a lot as I don't do much stuff live, so <$50?)

Or help me understand some of the microphone characteristics I'm looking for? or point me to other threads. (I know dynamic would be best suited but that's about it!)

Many thanks, Clay.

Your primary goals for live are most likely going to be gain before feedback, tone, and ruggedness. You could probably get a used SM58 for under 50 dollars.

If it has to be new, you could try the GLS-58. My experience with the GLS mics is that they a hotter than the Shure mics they mimic so you you need to attenuate inputs accordingly.

Paj
8^)

Or help me understand some of the microphone characteristics I'm looking for? or point me to other threads. (I know dynamic would be best suited but that's about it!)

1. Familiarity. Pretty much every sound person and singer on the planet know how to use an SM58.

2. Pickup pattern. Omnidirectional won't work. Cardioid has a wide, gently directional pickup pattern that is forgiving of poor mic technique but less able to reduce bleed. Supercardioid is a narrower pattern that is better at reducing bleed but you need to stay in the sweet spot. The SM58 is cardioid, the Beta 58 is supercardioid.

3. Sound quality. If the frequency response of a mic is too uneven then it may sound bad and it will probably be more prone to feedback.

4. Quality of construction. If you get a bad connection or the grill falls off after three gigs then a $50 mic is a false economy.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I really appreciate it.

So it seems SM58's are really great and the best value for money performance mic that suits my needs.

A little bit above my price range - but I picked one up on ebay for £45. (better than buying one new of amazon for £95!)

If I had known you were on the other side of the pond, I might have recommended a used Sennheiser e835 or AKG D5. What bouldersoundguy said above is true. Some mics take a higher level of skill to use properly. Some mics are easier on the vocalist but harder on the sound guy. I would say that as a general rule of thumb, the more feedback resistant a mic is, the more of a pain it is to sing into. Such hypercardioids and supercardioids often wind up getting stuck on things that don't move much, like piano, or an amp. If the sax player could hold still...dreamer. If you've got real trained talent that can work those nasty mics, they can rock! American Idol 101. The SM58 will be durable, reliable, predictable, and pretty forgiving. What's not to love? You have done well.

aren't the PG48 a bit cheaper, $35?
I bought one once not sure where it went. It seemed to be built in the same casing, not sure of the insides.
Ok for starting out.

A SM58 used would be my first choice.... I just got a couple 57's for $50 each. GC has 30 day return. (GC has a odd policy on mics some don't accept them as health /safety rules= spittle germs std's? and sometimes you'll see used microphones for sale?)

second thought for a vocal mic...... maybe get yourself a brand new one... micing cabinets and drums is one thing...

Saved the "Sennheiser e835 or AKG D5" for later reference if I look into buying more later.

Yes, you're right the PG58 IS slightly cheaper, but I listened to a sound comparison with the SM58 and just couldn't bear to sacrifice the crispness of the SM58 for just £15!

Thanks for the advice about super/hyper-cardioids - originally I was looking for one, to help eliminate feedback, but I never thought of the difficulty of use.
And in the circumstances of a live MC vocalist.... technique will be a little off!

One word of caution...be careful of any deal on an SM58 that seems too good to be true. It likely is. The SM58 is the most widely counterfeited mic in the world. I'd spend a few extra dollars/pounds to stick with a reputable dealer.

Back