cello

artCROSS

I've been looking for some decent condensors to record a cello with. I was thinking about 2 small condensers that could be doubled as drum overheads if i need to, and maybe improve my acoustic guitar recording sound (right now i'm stereo micing with 2 different large diaphragm condensers). The budget range is $100-150. Thanks!

I'll second that -

If you can dig up a large diaphragm condensor with a figure-8 pattern, you might want to throw that in the mix also...

MC012 near the lower body offset from the bridge and the LDC almost scroll-high pointed down slightly at the neck...

What about that MXL "stereo pack" at GC...? Can't remember if the LDC had pattern switching or not...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

In addition to the above suggestions, you might want to hop over to the acoustics forum and ask Ethan Winer (you can PM him). He plays and records cello.

I record quite a bit of strings, both as solo instruments, and in ensembles. I've used the Oktavas, and they are good for some color. I prefer Studio Projects C-4's, and they are excellent overheads, also. In about 2 weeks, I get my Schoeps CM42's with the MK 4 capsules, and I can't wait to stick them on my friend Audrey's $30,000 viola, and my wife's harp. Woo Hoo!-Richie

Hey Richie,

Already second time in a few days you fail to look at budget. ;)

Marik

I think i will get the mxls...i once read somewhere that harvey gerst compared them to the Oktava MC012, and i've never been steered wrong yet by this forum. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good advice. Spend the extra money and be sure to get both the shock mounts and the case. You won't go very far down the road before realizing this is a good idea.

Back