cd recording

cannonball

I am trying to get information on cd recording decks and their use in a live recording venue. I presently record bands
in anolog utilizing mostly instrument and room miking (up to 6 mic's) feeding into a Teac mixer then 2 feeds out into a Nakamichi cassette deck. I would like to replace the Nak deck with like a Philips CDR-870 or
similar. I went to the Philips web site and it looks like I can do this but here is the problem: One of their FAQ's states that there is a flag imbedded into a commercial cd that you buy and this lets you record it but you can't record a recorded cd because it won't have the flag, so if the band I record
wants to run off cd's of their own music they can't. However, if a bootlegger wants to run off 1,000 copies of a purchased cd thats ok.
Am I missing something here?

I really would'nt recommend purchasing either Phillips cdr770 or the 870. these decks only allow certain types of cd's to be
recorded on an the quality is some what not up to par to other cdr's in the same price range.I would highly recommend you audition
the Fostex cr300 of which offers professional and consumer CD-R and Cd-RW
recording capabilities and also the ability to duplicate other cd's. just my measly 2 cents. :)

I'm using the TASCAM CDRW 5000 for this very purpose. Sample at my website.
The TASCAM gives you the choice to use this protection system or not.
It uses every brand of CDR or CDRW I've tried although they have published a list of preferred media.

I bought some Maxell 1-8x discs the other day and my 5000 wouldn't accept them. I usually use Quantegy and Imation. They work fine.

Yeah Hix,
TASCAM does not recommend Maxell for use in their units. I have used them with no problem, but they say that when they give a thumbs down to a specific brand, it is because they had data errors more often with said brand.
TASCAM has a "recommended list" of CDR's at their website if you are interested, all the brands they tested. Imation got a thumbs up, and that is what I use too.

Back