Cascade Gomez - Michael Joly Edition Ribbon Mic

kojdogg

bollocks redux!
I stumbled upon this on another MB. From the Cascade Press Release:

"Cascade Microphones CEO Michael Chiriac asked Michael Joly - a trusted source of microphone modifications - to approve the design, specifications and manufacturing of the new "Gomez" microphone. Chiriac said: "After receiving a 2007 PAR Excellence Award for our FAT HEAD II ribbon mic at AES in October I wanted to push the quality envelope for ribbon mics even further. As Michael Joly is a well-known and trusted name in microphone upgrades I contacted him to see if we might work together on a design and quality assurance program for a new ribbon mic."

The new Cascade Microphones "Gomez" Michael Joly Edition ribbon mic uses a short, single-ribbon motor for broad vertical and horizontal pickup free from the off-axis coloration found in dual ribbon mics. The structure of the "Gomez" ribbon motor provides a tailored high frequency response ideal for guitar cab use or vintage-sounding "soft top" vocals. In a new innovation, the ribbon motor is installed in an optimized headbasket – a round, single layer grille designed to offer an open sound with reduced internal standing waves. Michael Joly notes: "While there are many design features that contribute to great microphone performance, part of my success upgrading microphones can be attributed to the use of a single-layer grille. A single layer grille reduces standing wave reflections between the grille and transducer to allow recordings with greater clarity".

The Cascade Microphones "Gomez" Michael Joly Edition features a renowned Lundahl ribbon mic transformer, custom PC board, high-quality Switchcraft XLR connector and Evidence Audio ™ LYRIC HG wire with IGL copper. The microphone is packaged in a sturdy and attractive aluminum case with shock mount. It comes with a signed and dated "Certificate of Performance" documenting a multi-step inspection, assembly and performance approval process - including certification of proper ribbon tension."

It looks awesome too.

Attachments

• GOMEZ_GOLD2a.jpg
    GOMEZ_GOLD2a.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
OK. Bottom of the main page Doh! :D I looked under What's New and Products. Didn't seem to make it there.

Gomez's identical twin? :eek:

violet-globe-v.jpg

LOL, Koji you've revealed the source of my inspiration - LEGO land ;)

Here's another shot of the GOMEZ taken at Cascade's lab. In contrast to the dual-layer Fat Head grille, GOMEZ's single-layer grille is spherical instead of a deep convex shape. When I have a mic here in Massachusetts on Friday I'll shoot more pics that show this.

GOMEZ_003.jpg

LOL, Koji you've revealed the source of my inspiration - LEGO land ;)

Here's another shot of the GOMEZ taken at Cascade's lab. In contrast to the dual-layer Fat Head grille, GOMEZ's single-layer grille is spherical instead of a deep convex shape. When I have a mic here in Massachusetts on Friday I'll shoot more pics that show this.

awesome-- i love my rsm-5 that you modded. i think these are great deals whether one buys a new gomez or gets a ribbon modded by you. when you consider the elegant simplicity of a passive ribbon circuit, that the transformer and wiring are replaced by high quality components, and then the ribbons are either retensioned and tuned, or replaced, tensioned and tuned by an expert in this, either way the joly ribbons are a great value.

i love seeing the ribbon element/motor through the single layer grill too. it really sucks (for me :o) that they did the old bait and switch with the offset, wooden box & shockmount version of rsm-5's with the newer version because i'd love to have a pair of them (oktavamodded of course). i recently got a great composite acoustic guitar sound using a blue kiwi and the arse end of the rsm-5.

BTW, although the Violet Design mic looks similar, it is a condenser, not a ribbon, and streets for @$1469.

Yes very true. Incidentally, the Fisher Price Little People are generally plastic (or wood as with the attached specimen) and recommended for ages 4+ (I made that up) :D

Back