Can't get clean sound with either Yeti or Audio Technica 2020

Kelleytoons

I used to know a lot about recording. USED TO being the operative words. Back in the day we had analog equipment and reel-to-reel and it was easy to get quality, good sound, even from my fairly deep voice.

The modern age has whipped me. I'm trying to use a USB mic and for the life of me I can't get decent sound, not like the sound I could get with just an old $40 Shure mic hooked up to even a cheap tape deck. Now my spending a few hundred dollars can't get close to that sound. So I'm an idiot, or doing something wrong, but I was hoping someone here could at least point me in the right direction.

I tried the Blue Yeti first because of reviews and now I'm trying an Audio Technica 2020+ (again, reviews). Both are USB mics and I've tried using Voice Meter to preprocess the output but with or without that my vocals all sound *terrible*. They are boomy (but don't tell me I'm too close -- standing further back does nothing to help) and sound as if I'm recording in the worse location in the world (and my computer room is relatively quiet -- there are some fan noises around three feet away but without speaking they don't seem to pick up at all). I have the mics on my desk, which IS a hard surface but is covered by so much crap it could hardly be an echoy one (but I can try a stand if folks think it will help -- I have many stands, again, from the non-digital age). With these cardioid mics I am sure I have them facing the right way, but it sounds like I'm at the bottom of a barrel.

Any clues? I'm kind of loathe to dig out my XLR converter to use my older mics because I'd then be plugging into my computer's mic input which *can't* be good, I wouldn't think (and I do not want to spend $$$ on a decent sound card -- been down that road and it's a rabbit hole I'll never dig my way out of again... unless that's the only way to fix this issue). I know LOTS of other folks get decent sound out of their USB mics because I've heard it on their podcats and such, but how?

Welcome to the digital age! I made the jump about 8 years ago and never looked back. What used to take 2 days working on 2 bars splicing tape now takes 20 min with a dozen mouse clicks. Now, first things first.

1. Can you upload a sample of your audio or provide a link to it so we can get some fresh ears on it?
2. USB mics are extremely over rated. Professional audio usually requires an Audio Interface/USB Mixer.
3. What program are you using to record into as well as your operating system? If you are using something like Audacity with Windows, you are going to need to jump through a few hoops to get where you need to be and there is very little room for error.
4. What is the distance from your mouth to your mic and at what angle is it? (A good rule of thumb is to extend your thumb and little finger as far as you can and place your thumb on your chin and your mic at the end of your little finger).
5. Do you have any room treatment at all in your office? You may just need to place a few pillows behind your mic to see if it starts to improve your audio. If it does, than that is where you will need to start.
6. What is your input level as you are recording? You will get the best results between a -12 and -18dbs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative reply. After I made my post I did some more digging around the interweb and came to the conclusion I want to try a sound box around the mic to see if it helps, so I ordered some soundproofing material and will get it tomorrow and set it up. Assuming it (and the other tips you gave) don't help, then I'll be back here with some samples.

I'm in a bit of a difficult spot - right now I'm using Adobe Audition just to test the sound, but the recording *has* to take place using my iClone software (because I'm also doing facial mocap at the same time. There just isn't any way around this as I need the audio in that program to drive the lip action as well as lay down for the animation track. It's *possible* I could do dual sends and then sync the audio back up but that would be a PITA).

I've been running Voicemeeter as a way of being able to adjust the audio womewhat before it comes in, but perhaps there is better preprocessor software out there. Plus I'm not sure how to manage settings between the Windows levels and it. For example, you say reccord at -12dbs but if I turn down the input levels that low on Voicemeeter I hear absolutely nothing on the mic, even with the Windows levels at 80%. It's not like the old days when I could look at a single meter and just see what's going on, as I'm not quite sure where the Windows levels and the Voicemeeter ones coincide (IOW, do I set the Windows levels at 100% always? Seems to me the gain is much too high then).

I'm not unwilling to get some sort of interface/USB mixer -- I would need guidance along those lines, though, and still need to know what mic to use (would, for example, it be better to use the AT2020 standalone mic with such a mixer? Would I actually get better sound than using the AT2020USB version?).

But I'll be back (or not, if things get a whole lot better -- however, my gut tells me I won't be able to solve it this easily).

I used to know a lot about recording. USED TO being the operative words. Back in the day we had analog equipment and reel-to-reel and it was easy to get quality, good sound, even from my fairly deep voice.

The modern age has whipped me. I'm trying to use a USB mic and for the life of me I can't get decent sound, not like the sound I could get with just an old $40 Shure mic hooked up to even a cheap tape deck. Now my spending a few hundred dollars can't get close to that sound. So I'm an idiot, or doing something wrong, but I was hoping someone here could at least point me in the right direction.

I tried the Blue Yeti first because of reviews and now I'm trying an Audio Technica 2020+ (again, reviews). Both are USB mics and I've tried using Voice Meter to preprocess the output but with or without that my vocals all sound *terrible*. They are boomy (but don't tell me I'm too close -- standing further back does nothing to help) and sound as if I'm recording in the worse location in the world (and my computer room is relatively quiet -- there are some fan noises around three feet away but without speaking they don't seem to pick up at all). I have the mics on my desk, which IS a hard surface but is covered by so much crap it could hardly be an echoy one (but I can try a stand if folks think it will help -- I have many stands, again, from the non-digital age). With these cardioid mics I am sure I have them facing the right way, but it sounds like I'm at the bottom of a barrel.

Any clues? I'm kind of loathe to dig out my XLR converter to use my older mics because I'd then be plugging into my computer's mic input which *can't* be good, I wouldn't think (and I do not want to spend $$$ on a decent sound card -- been down that road and it's a rabbit hole I'll never dig my way out of again... unless that's the only way to fix this issue). I know LOTS of other folks get decent sound out of their USB mics because I've heard it on their podcats and such, but how?

Ok, well just to jog your memory, the microphone picks up 80% of its sound from the reflections and 20% from the direct source.
So be at least 4 feet from the closest vertical surface. The lower your voice is the farther the vertical surface must be or it will cancel it like a bass trap would. For example: on a desktop computer setup that is against a wall with a flatscreen, the space behind the monitor would act like a bass trap.

Last edited:
I'm in a bit of a difficult spot - right now I'm using Adobe Audition just to test the sound, but the recording *has* to take place using my iClone software (because I'm also doing facial mocap at the same time. There just isn't any way around this as I need the audio in that program to drive the lip action as well as lay down for the animation track. It's *possible* I could do dual sends and then sync the audio back up but that would be a PITA).

Other than Adobe Addition, I have no clue whatsoever of what you just said. LOL!

I've been running Voicemeeter as a way of being able to adjust the audio womewhat before it comes in, but perhaps there is better preprocessor software out there.

I don't use V Mixers so again, I have no advice to give you.

IOW, do I set the Windows levels at 100% always? Seems to me the gain is much too high then.

You are correct. You should never set it to 100%.

I'm not unwilling to get some sort of interface/USB mixer -- I would need guidance along those lines, though, and still need to know what mic to use (would, for example, it be better to use the AT2020 standalone mic with such a mixer? Would I actually get better sound than using the AT2020USB version?).

I have 4 of the ATR 2100's and love them. I also have an AKG P-120 which is very similar to the ATR 2020. The key is to be able to run them into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Reaper via an interface/USB Mixer that will utilize the ASIO file system. This will allow you to fine tune the proper input gain. Most digital interfaces are designed to give the best noise to signal ratio between a -12 and -18dbs. Once you get the audio into your computer, than you can adjust the output levels. These are totally different from each other.

But I'll be back (or not, if things get a whole lot better -- however, my gut tells me I won't be able to solve it this easily).

Like I mentioned before, just place a few pillows behind your mic or better yet, place a blanket over your head and mic and do a test run to see if that gets you out of the "bottom of the barrel". You would be very surprised what a difference it can make.

I would step back and simply test recording with the mics using absolutely nothing but Audacity until you get a good sound. If the room is not a complete disaster, either of those two mics should be able to produce an acceptable recording. Get rid of whatever other software you are using until you've sorted out how and where to place the mic and yourself so you get a good recording.

Once you have the best you can do, post it here if it needs more work. Otherwise, try routing everything directly to your iClone s/w without touching anything else.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. As I said, I wanted to wait until today before I posted back, as my acoustic foam and little "box" (I'm using a Whitmore 14" collapsible cube, so it's even portable if I needed it to be) arrived and I could test.

And as some thought, it was all that was needed. Sound is just fine now, so whatever the heck the room acoustics were were mucking this up royally. Also, using the VoiceMeeter preprocessor thing was a disaster (I was following some other folks' advice about getting good sound from their Yeti, but frankly the sound is MUCH worse going through that even using their settings).

As it turns out, I like the Yeti just *slightly* better (which is funny as I've had it for years and ordered the 2020 just to see if I could get better sound when all the time it was just my environment -- but prior to that I was just using it for tutorials and didn't care much what it sounded like).

I really do appreciate all the help -- I haven't recorded "serious" audio in many, many years (decades, really) so over the years I had forgotten how important room acoustics were. This little sound box (less than $30 total and made in about 30 seconds) works a treat and I wish I had done this a long time ago (my tutorials would have sounded a LOT better).

Nice to have a great place to come to in case I ever need more audio advice, though. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. As I said, I wanted to wait until today before I posted back, as my acoustic foam and little "box" (I'm using a Whitmore 14" collapsible cube, so it's even portable if I needed it to be) arrived and I could test. Nice to have a great place to come to in case I ever need more audio advice, though. Thanks again.

It is funny how the basic properties for recording audio can bring things to a screeching halt! I am glad you were able to solve the problem. Now for the unpleasant news/opinion. Using a voice box is the fastest way to kill your audio. If you have the foam all the way around it as well as the top and bottom, it is going to suck the life right out of your voice.

I am not going to get into the math for proper room treatment but just do me one favor. Record a few mins using the box and than go inside a closet, shut the door and do the same. I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut you will like the closet better. I common mistake people make is spending 2 or 3 grand for an ISO booth, just to find out that their vocals have no life. There is only so much an eq can do.

No, it's fine -- the box doesn't have foam at the bottom (it was a design by a sound guy, so he kind of knew what he was doing) and there is enough area 'around' the box (which is to say that although the mic is in the middle of the box I'M not, and my voice coming from the outside of it is fine, with plenty of sparkle and clarity).

I don't think a closet would get much better, even if it were an option (because of the Facial mocap it's not). My overall biggest issue was just the incredible bass that my room (which is all solid surfaces with almost zero coverings) was providing, and I think the box does just that. If I want to get a bit more complicated and perhaps shape the sound just a little better I suppose I can start working on those surfaces and avoid the box entirely, but that will end up costing a lot more than the $30 I spent (and, ultimately, might be wasted -- this is character audio which will then have sound FX and music all around it). But I might do that eventually because using the box is a bit cumbersome (due to the facial mocap thing I need to put the facecam then directly underneath the mic and... well, you sound guys probably don't care much about all the crap I have to deal with in terms of video, but lighting is also a thing I have to worry about).

I hear ya Brother! I still have no idea what that facial stuff does or most of what we have talked about. Maybe I can ask my 12 yr old granddaughter. Shes is into this kind of stuff big time. Can you send me a link to your vids? I get into making them myself.

Oops, it won't allow me post links -- I haven't posted enough here. Sigh -- so the video I created JUST for you can't be seen -- I wonder if I can PM it to you.

Kelleytoons.com is my web site (once upon a time I was semi-famous -- even had a Fox contract. But those days are LONG past) but my YouTube channel is harder to find (and impossible to post a link here).

Maybe I can embed a video. Let me try:

Nope, not even that. Okay, you'll just have to take my word that I'm amazing <bg>.

Ah, that's the definition of irony (in that my post telling I couldn't post because I didn't have enough posts then GAVE me enough posts). Or maybe it's just meta. I can't decide which.

Here's the video:

That is AMAZING! I also watched a few of your other vids. You are correct about hanging a curtain behind you to help curb reflection. You can also build this for around $15.00 to help as well. Use any heavy blanket or quilt and when not in use, slide it under the bed.

View attachment 100672

A USB microphone would be a good choice only if you need a very portable set. If you need quality, the right choice is a standard microphone and an audio card or a little mixer with integrated USB converter.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mack, I'll definitely put something up behind me (although it can be permanent as this is my "studio", which just means it's full of computers :>).

I'm happy with the sound of my Yeti now, though -- I think it will work out just fine.

Sampling rate?

Digital recorders have different sampling rates, often divided into telephone quality, AM radio quality, CD quality, etc. If your sampling rate is low, all the treatments will not help. Just a thought.

Back