Can't connect my behringer b-5 properly.

xxyzz

Hi guys !

So I purchased a behringer b-5 condenser mic and I connected it to a behringer xenyx 502 (phantom powered ). This xenyx is connected to a UCA 200, which is connected to my PC. Now when I connect the headphones to the xenyx and I setup my playback devices from my PC it works, but I setup my recording devices the mic doesn't work. At first I thought that the xenyx did not have phantom power, but I checked and it does. I seem to be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Can you please help me out.

The older original Xenyx 502s did not have phantom power; more modern ones do. The trouble is, on the modern ones it's permanently on with no switch to indicate which model you have. The only way to know for sure would be to use a multimeter into the holes on the XLR input and see if you can measure 48 volts between the ground (Pin 1) pins 2 and 3.

Here's hoping you have the right model!

Well on the box it says " now with phantom power" and the guy at the store said that before he shipped those, he checked them and everything was working. I think I am not doing something correctly with the setup, but I don't know what. Is it possible that I did something wrong and the phantom power fried the mic ?

Highly unlikely that plugging in an XLR can damage a microphone.

You mention not hearing the mic when you set up your recording devices...can you hear it with headphones plugged directly into the Behringer and the channel/main mix turned up?

Highly unlikely that plugging in an XLR can damage a microphone.

You mention not hearing the mic when you set up your recording devices...can you hear it with headphones plugged directly into the Behringer and the channel/main mix turned up?

Yes. When I turn up the main mixer I can hear sound from the mic, which is a good sign, showing that the mic works :D , but it seems like the PC can't read it or sth.

Do you hear the mic with headphones plugged in the the mixer? The two buttons on the mixer are they in or out? Are you connecting the Main Out or the CD/Tape Out of the mixer to the Input of the UCA-200?
If you have a 1/4" cable (guitar or patch cord), plugging it into the Ch 1 jack (no mic connected) and touching the other end of the cord should give some hum in the headphones plugged into the mixer.

Yeah. I hear the mic when I turn up the main mixer. The two buttons are out . Well I connect the behringer with the UCA through cables ( I don't know how they are called in english ) - two white ends and two red ends. I hope you know what I mean.

Most likely the problem is with your set up of whatever software you are using. You should provide much more details about what you're doing. Like did you load in the drivers for the UCA-200? what program are you using? etc

Do not plug a ribbon mic into a phantom powered jack. (there are exceptions but)

The Behringer B-5 is a small diaphragm condenser, not a ribbon.

However, the OP would be out of luck if he ever bought a ribbon mic since there's no way to turn off the phantom on his mixer. The threat of phantom power to ribbon mics is somewhat overblown--most can take it--but I'd still not want to be the one to plug in a new mic to test it the hard way!

Most likely the problem is with your set up of whatever software you are using. You should provide much more details about what you're doing. Like did you load in the drivers for the UCA-200? what program are you using? etc

Well I don't think you got my thread right. It's not that my program doesn't respond to the mic. The PC does not recognize the mic or sth like that. I mean when I connect everything and then when I select the UCA as my default mic and I speak into it the computer gets no reading. However I can hear myself talking into the mic when I turn up my main mixer on my interface. I hope you see what I mean.

I speak into it the computer gets no reading. However I can hear myself talking into the mic when I turn up my main mixer on my interface. I hope you see what I mean.

Are you ARMING the track & turning on MONITOR? :D

Well I don't think you got my thread right. It's not that my program doesn't respond to the mic. The PC does not recognize the mic or sth like that. I mean when I connect everything and then when I select the UCA as my default mic and I speak into it the computer gets no reading. However I can hear myself talking into the mic when I turn up my main mixer on my interface. I hope you see what I mean.

Chilli's suggestion to provide more info on the driver does make sense. The fact that you can hear yourself, does not mean your DAW can record that sound. From my experience, unless I arm the right driver, my DAW will not even acknowledge what I am hearing through the interface. If you don't have the right drivers the computer will see the mic and pick up a signal but the computer can't translate the signal data to the DAW unless it has the correct drivers to do so. OK, maybe that's not how it ACTUALLY works, but that's how I think about it and it helped me figure out how to get mine working.

The driver was my ONLY problem when I was setting up my interface to work with my mic to work with my DAW. The drivers my Behringer interface came with are pants. Someone suggested on here to install ASIO4ALL drivers, and hey presto, no more problems.

Back