Can you wash or rinse grill on SM58?

Robertt8

I've been noticing that the grill on my SM58 gets all nasty and wet after I use it...I know I wouldn't want to use it after me. Can you wash that out? I see you can unscrew it and it's got that foam inside. is it better just to leave it alone or can I clean that somehow?

thanks!
Tait

Robertt8 said:
I've been noticing that the grill on my SM58 gets all nasty and wet after I use it...I know I wouldn't want to use it after me. Can you wash that out? I see you can unscrew it and it's got that foam inside. is it better just to leave it alone or can I clean that somehow?

thanks!
Tait

The foam pops right out, should be easy to clean.

Robertt8 said:
do you clean the foam too or just the grill?
Both... if the foam stinks it needs to be cleaned (soak foam in disinfectant and dry it well before putting it back in the grill) or if need be, replace the foam (replacement foam is cheap). Oh, and a toothbrush can be handy for cleaning the grill.

Use this at your own risk, but I seem to remember some Live Sound guys pooring Listerine through the grill (grill was off the mic of course) then letting it dry. Again use at your own risk. I've never tried it - never had to either, but I would if I had the same problem. Let us know how it works out if you do.

Hey, thanks guys! the grill/foam isn't stinky or anything. it just gets kind of nasty after a while of using it for a show or something. It just seems like i might get sick or something, using it after someone else. just want to disinfect it.

Robertt8 said:
Hey, thanks guys! the grill/foam isn't stinky or anything. it just gets kind of nasty after a while of using it for a show or something. It just seems like i might get sick or something, using it after someone else. just want to disinfect it.

An alcohol wipe should work for that, at least on the grill. The foam I don't know, that probably needs removal and a good soapy wash to disinfect.

Robertt8 said:
...It just seems like i might get sick or something, using it after someone else. just want to disinfect it.
Most pathogens have a life span ouside the body of less than 48 - 72 hours, so unless you are going to use (like eat) the mic the next day, I wouldn't worry about it.
Of course, if you're talking about organisms that can sporulate, such as anthrax, you might want to clean it after each use. :)

It's certainly not a bad idea to clean them every once and a while. I have used a listerine solution many times when cleaning the grill and foam. Disinfectant is great, but I always let them soak in a nice diluted Listerine solution after disinfectant so that they don't smell like that.

Back