Can U recommend a tube mic preamp?

Roger Mac

Does anyone want to recommend a great little TUBE mic preamp?

I am currently using a Rode K2 mic into an FMR Audio RNP preamp. I'd like to look at some tube pre-amps for a little warmth since about 98% of our recording at home is for vocals. Only need a couple channels. Pretty much all Rock (modern, classic and everything in between)

Thanks. :)

Budget would be up to $500-ish.

I don't want to spend $500 just to say I spent $500, but if it makes a difference over something cheaper, I'm willing to spend it. :)

...in my personal experience, what you refer to as "warmth" is more likely to be found in a mic pre that utilizes quality transformers (either on input, output or both)...a classic example (and well out of your price range) would be the transformer based Neve pres (1073, 1272, 1290, etc)...
...unfortunately, there are few transformer based pres in your price range...

...as a fellow owner of a K2 (along with quite a few other tube condenser mics) I suspect you might do well to try a good dynamic mic, rather than do the "Holy Grail" mic pre hunt (as many of us here have experienced)...the Shure SM7B will come closer to that "phatter", "warmer" vintage sound than the K2 will, even thru a classic Neve (I've got one of those as well)...

...try to rent or borrow one to see if it works for you...it'll be the best $300+ you'll spend for a vocal mic (trust me)...just make sure your mic pres can provide the 60-65 dB of gain that the SM7 thrives on...;)

Wise words from kidyvibes :).

Not a tube pre/channel strip, but one that has switchable iron (transformers) and which has been getting positive comments is the current series of JoeMeek Twin Q.

Another dynamic which would be worth looking at is Sennheiser's MD-441.

:cool:

Maybe you can dig up a Universal Audio Solo 610 used for that kind of scratch. It is a fairly colored pre, so know what you are getting into. Kidvybes is right on too. Transformers are something else that can add that syrup.

Very cool guys. Thanks for the great info & suggestions.
I'll check the Shure mic mentioned as well as a few of the (non-tube) pre-amps.

Thanks much!

Back