Can I use omni small diaphragm condenser mics for XY stereo far away pointing?

Unless it's on your stage wedge and someone kicks it out, then your amp's output gets shorted briefly, and again when someone sticks it back in without letting me switch off the amp. Speakon is of course the solution to that, but not everything has them.

If you pull a "powered" jack plug from a passive speaker, i.e. not otherwise earthed the tip has nowhere to go therefore no short.
In any event, a valve amp will not care if you short it (might not like the OC but a decent amp should survive). A solid state amp should be S/C proof, certainly such brief one (if it happened).

Where you have "mission critical" connections surely looping thru a handle is wise? IEC plugs can pull out but there is a debate as to which is better, the loss of sound or having a 100W valve amp pulled down from a 2x4x12 stack?

Bobbsy, you probably remember that back in the day some pretty beefy amps use XLR THREE for speaker output? Would have done an SM58 a world of good! In the AV firm I was with, in the absence then of anything better 100V line connections were XLR4 and "low Z" speaker lines 1/4" jacks.

Dave.

Yup, looping your leads through a handle or something helps but for real mission critical use a locking connector like a Speakon. I don't have that problem...my cheapie PA system uses powered speakers with locking XLR inputs. Well, in reality that transfers the problem to the IEC and a bit of electrical tape around the top of the speaker stand gives reasonable protection since only a basketball player could reach the mains inputs when the speakers are fully "up".

By the way, THESE are the XLR mains connectors I mentioned ITN using. Horrible things...cost a fortune and the shrouds on the bulkhead male connector would break/push back leaving a touchable live pin. When the company I worked for moved out of ITN and set up our own facilities that was one of the first things I changed, the other being a move to Krone tag blogs rather than solder ones!

Back