Can I use a Condensor Mic on this?

maskedman72 said:
get some shure sm57's and a sm 58 or 2 and you are good. i would not use a condensor live cause of the abuse factor. people kick them,spill beer on them.
Done deal. Thread closed. I'll go with SM58's. That mic seems to keep popping up as a recommendation and we'll go with that. Thanks.

Well they are suited for live, but in limited applications. You aren't going to mike an acoustic guitar from 2 feet away with a condenser like you would in a studio. But they work well for drum overhead, choir, even things like fiddle. The key to a successful source for a live condenser is that it's fairly loud. Thus you aren't using the condenser for its sensitivity (which could easily cause feedback), you're using it for its response.

I still don't know exactly what your combo is. However with three mics and a small PA combo amp that has two inputs, I think a small mixer is probably in your future, which solves the phantom power problem.

I purchased a condensor (mxl 990) from a local music shop, and the guy there was interested in hearing it. Being a small shop he had nothing there with phantom power to test it on. Anyway to my astonishment he plugged it into a very similar combo/p.a type amp as that in the photo and it worked fine.

I have used condensors in a live (rowdy) environment, i am happy to say they weren't my condensors! definatly go down the shure sm57-58 path for live.

Or.... get three matching senn 435, senn 445 or 58's. Get three that are the same as feedback is easier to tame if all mics have the same peaks

Hey Harley R.,

If you're still reading, the guys were asking what you want to do so that we could determine whether condensers were a viable option for you.

We still don't know if you're doing vocals or instruments. The Shure '57s and '58s are definitely fine for live use for either one. Turn on MTV or CMT or any live music show and you will see a bunch of them in use. (By people who can afford to use whatever they want) And they will price out at under a hundred each.

Good luck,

Tom

Yo Harleyrider! You are getting true answers from experts who aren't always great teachers. Here goes:

1. A preamp is an amp that raises the weak signal from a mic to line level. That line level output can either be sent to a power amp, then speakers, or to a sound card or recorder. Your combo amp has a preamp in it, or it wouldn't have a mic (XLR) input. Preamps run from $10 per channel to $4500 per channel, or even more, and you get what you pay for. Better preamps usually mean better sound. Some are "clean"- they make signals stronger, but don't change them much. Some are more "colored"- they modify the sound, hopefully improving it. The pres in your amp are on the cheap side, as they go.

2. Phantom power is power that is sent back up the mic cable to a mic to power it. Some mics can provide their own power by battery. Tube mics have a tube in them, which requires more power than phantom power can provide, so they use a special multi-pin cable and a separate power supply.
Usually, dynamic mics don't require phantom power, but condenser mics do, excepting tube mics. There are a few exceptions to that rule. You can buy a phantom power supply to feed condensers to use them with gear that doesn't provide phantom power. Example- Rolls PB23, about $50.

3. Condenser mics are often more sensitive than dynamic mics, and usually have a much hotter output. They can be feedback prone because of their sensitivity. Usable ones can be had cheap- Examples- Studio Projects B-1 ($80) and Marshall MXL V67G ($80-100). Note that studio workhorses are $500-$1000, and top of the line srudio condensers are in the range of $2000-$8000! Ooh baby! Condensers most definitely can be used live, and often are, especially for instruments, but a good PA with good equalization and an engineer with a clue are very helpful here. Condensers are not usually used live for mic'ing amps, or for vocals, but they are often used on violin, flute, recorder, acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, etc.

OK, there's some basic answers, but... the info you've given gives very little clue what you are really trying to do. OK, let me guess- you're trying to plug something into this combo amp you have, but we don't really know what. I would say if your music is basically acoustic, and you use a lot of instruments, a condenser might come in handy. If you are basically electric, and you use mics for vocals or percussion, you'll prefer a dynamic for vocals, snare, toms, and kick, but you'll want condensers for overheads. For most live applications, it's hard to beat a Sennheiser MD421. It's a dynamic mic that runs about $200. It'll be a real workhorse for you.-Richie

This kind of portable PA unit is not intended to need a separate preamp. The unit itself is intended to have enough gain on the mic in lines as is.

The advice for the SM57/58 is good.

If you wanted to do something that looked different then you could go with the Sennheiser E835. Musician's friend has them at $99 each or 3 fror $199.

Back