Cad M179 and GXL 3000

Mikey77

I see the GXL 3000 is going out the door very cheaply, does anyone know about this mic. It gets a similar description to the way people describe the often praised CAD M179. Does it share quality DNA with the M179 or is it a poor cousin ???

Sound on Sound Magazine Quote:
"The multi-pattern GXL3000 sounds pretty neutral, which is perhaps what you'd expect after seeing the nominally flat frequency plot with its subtle presence peaks. The omni mode sounds more open and natural than the cardioid and figure-of-eight modes, as is to be expected, but overall the sound is smooth and fairly classy with no obviously hyped characteristics, making this a good choice of mic if you need to use it as an all-rounder with different singers and different instruments."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-GXL3000-Microphone?sku=270366

Mikey77 said:
I see the GXL 3000 is going out the door very cheaply, does anyone know about this mic. It gets a similar description to the way people describe the often praised CAD M179. Does it share quality DNA with the M179 or is it a poor cousin ???

It's a flip of the coin.

From CAD's website:

GXL3000
Multi-pattern Condenser Microphone
Borne of precious metal and pure electricity. Tune two golden membranes intimately across polished bass and inject electrons with oscillatory high tension. Drive emotion across copper and iron by field-effect detection. Wrap it in Faraday's cage to conceive the GXL3000. Live all three polar patterns as you align space and tone.

M179
Variable-pattern Condenser Microphone
Travel the space-tone continuum with the touch of a dial. The figure-of-eight is rich and intimate. The omni is spacious and articulate. Experience all the variations in between. We combine the large-diaphragm capsule with algebraic phasing and high-power transformerless drive to create an indispensable acoustical window.

I guess it just depends on how you like your bullshit prepared. I'd have to say the 3000 seems to be piled a little higher and deeper, but the 179 has a fragrance more complex and steeped in tradition, with a lingering, smooth abgang.

For the $70 price, the multipattern 3000 is certainly worth a try.

Their GXL stuff is supposedly just off-the-shelf Chinese stuff.

Nothing wrong with it at all, especially for the price, but nothing quite to write home about either.

crazydoc said:
GXL3000
Multi-pattern Condenser Microphone
Borne of precious metal and pure electricity. Tune two golden membranes intimately across polished bass and inject electrons with oscillatory high tension. Drive emotion across copper and iron by field-effect detection. Wrap it in Faraday's cage to conceive the GXL3000. Live all three polar patterns as you align space and tone.

M179
Variable-pattern Condenser Microphone
Travel the space-tone continuum with the touch of a dial. The figure-of-eight is rich and intimate. The omni is spacious and articulate. Experience all the variations in between. We combine the large-diaphragm capsule with algebraic phasing and high-power transformerless drive to create an indispensable acoustical window.

Those are some of the worst/weirdest product descriptions I've ever read in my life. :confused:

crazydoc said:
Borne of precious metal and pure electricity. Drive emotion across copper and iron by field-effect detection. ....Travel the space-tone continuum with the touch of a dial.

Sounds like Buzz Lightyear just got a home studio !

kid klash said:
I was mildly impressed, and a bit surprised with the way it sounded... it's not as hyped as I thought it might be for this price point, and each of the three patterns is quite usable. The pad and low freq rolloff switch positions are very effective, and it's cleaner (noise-wise) than I expected too. It also appears to be very well made. The shockmount seems to be effective, holding the mic securely, and is easy to get the mic in and out of without any problems. Definately worth my $70 investment IMHO. :)

Thanks for the Link Klash. Have you ever had a chance to use an M179? If so how do they compare???

Chessrock: "Their GXL stuff is supposedly just off-the-shelf Chinese stuff."
Does that mean the M179 is put together with more care and US involvement ???

Last edited:
Mikey77 said:
Thanks for the Link Klash. Have you ever had a chance to use an M179? If so how do they compare???

No, I haven't used the M179, so I can't compare them. The M179 is getting mainly good reviews by the people that own them... just be sure to screw the tightening nut on the correct way when attaching it to the shockmount. ;)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/125273-cad-m179.html

Last edited:
Back