Cad M179

capnreverb

I bought one of these a few months ago and last week was my first time trying it in a non testing application. I used it to mic my reeds in a free jazz group that I have. I usually use my beyer 500 or one of my groove tube tube mics for this. Wow, what an unusualy different sound. It was sure nice to my usually trebly/biting tone, almost sounded like a 50/60's jazz record. While not as "accuarate" as the others it was sure forgiving in a pleasant way. Anybody else notice the "warm" qualities of this mic. It sure sounds different than my at4033, rode nt1, and the other mic's I mentioned. It might be a nice alternative to the usual trebly affordable condensor mics.

Last edited:
I use them all the time on drum overheads and like them on finger picked acoustic stuff. It's an extremely useful mic, maybe a bit hard to find right now but if you look around they're out there I suppose! Good all purpose mic, probably one of the most useful in its price range really.

War

I use it on vox when the song is in the singers "high" range. Takes the edge off those otherwise piercing notes. It seems to mellow out screechy cabs too. Haven't tried overhead (only got the one)

Kenny...find you another one man and use it on overheads. With the completely variable patterns etc. it's a great choice!

The Studio Projects C4's are killer overhead mics as well. Not overly bright either and having two sets of matched capsules is again versatile for this position.

War

Back