Cad M-37

warble

Hey all- curious if anyone has used or if anyone is familiar with the CAD M-37 mic? I saw it at Musicians Friend for $99 and am curious if it is worth anything as far as vocals go....

The M37 is Musician Friend's cosmetically different but otherwise identical version of the CAD M177 - a large diaphram cardioid with a rising response from 2K to 15K of about 2db to 6db - look on the CAD website at the PDF spec sheet for the response curve. It's a bright mic but not harsh or hard sounding - especially fine for male vocal. It has a very nice and round low frequency response, pleasant flat mids, lotsa air on top. It works well for stringed acoustic instruments too. I've found that I just have to be aware of possible high end sibilence on some vocals. It also has a surprisingly tight and consistent polar pattern for a large diaphram cardioid mic - this makes it especially good for stereo micing techniques such as ORTF & X/Y coincident pair. Also it has an excellent transient response which helps it reproduce very realistic sounding percussive sounds. I bought a pair of these several months ago & have had wonderful success with them on chamber music recording, acoustic guitar, drum overheads, & vocals. The folks at CAD told me that the capsule is the same as they used in the Equitech 300 & that this capsule is indeed Chinese, but they (CAD) go through a rigorous testing & quality control screening process to ensure consistency. The preamp stage is a new high quality IC design that is very low noise. The street price for the M177 is about $ 180 to $200 so this nearly identical version is a steal at Musician Friend's clearance prices. I may just pick up a few more.

Skip Beach

Thanks!

SkipBeach - thanks for the info. Sounds like a pretty decent mic - especially at a price of $100 at Musician's Friend. I used to own a E-100 and liked it alot. On the E-100 though, I found it to be a little to generous on the high-end - it was a little the thin for me, but worked well for the most part.

Back