Cables, confused

Tronologic

Ok, mic to mixer i need a XLR, but do i need Male or Female (last time i checked im a male but im still not sure) ... what does male and female mean?

Also Mixer to computer (i have an audigy 2) what exact cable would i need from musiciansfriend.com

please help me out on this one i honestly have no clue.

An XLR cable will have both ends. The male end is the end you stick into something and the female end is the end that...err...does the ehh...receiving of a taken thing. (snicker) Just get a cheap XLR cable and you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Tronologic said:
Ok, mic to mixer i need a XLR, but do i need Male or Female (last time i checked im a male but im still not sure) ... what does male and female mean?

Also Mixer to computer (i have an audigy 2) what exact cable would i need from musiciansfriend.com

please help me out on this one i honestly have no clue.
The mic has pins coming out the bottom...3 of them (that's the male XLR). Think of them as 3 protruding penises if you're a sick bastard like me. Those 3 pins fit into the 3 holes of the Mic cable (think of holes as female, because...well, you know). So the other end of the mic cord has 3 pins again (i.e., male), and that goes into the female XLR input of the mixer.

From mixer to computer depends on your mixer...that card has a 1/8" female input, so your cord will have to have a 1/8" male end...as far as what's on the other end, it depends on how you come out of your mixer...

nice

well now that my mind is having an orgasm over all this male and female stuff i am getting a Yamaha MG10/2 Stereo Mixer , Let me know if you think i should get a diffrent mixer , but i get how things work but do you know what kind of port a MXL1006 has?

Last edited:
A standard mic cable has a male plug and a female socket on the ends, they will plug a standard microphone which has a male end, into a standard mixer, which has a female socket.

You don't buy male or female cables, just get a mic cable.

I don't want to depress you this close to Christmas Tron my man, but it gets much harder from here on in once you've worked out how to plug things in.

The computer side of things

yeh i understand it gets harder, but on the computer side of things i think it will be easy, as long as i can get everythign to my computer im set, everything on the computer comes easy to me but i ask stupid questions to be sure so i dont end up wasting money.

On the male/female XLR thing: the pins always "point" in the direction of signal flow, so an output has male and an input has female.

lpdeluxe said:
On the male/female XLR thing: the pins always "point" in the direction of signal flow, so an output has male and an input has female.
...which is just another way of saying "male = penis, female = hole."

Yeah, we're all on the same page here, lol.

noisedude said:
Man, they should've taught me some of this in school, surely?

Here, the trend is towards "saving yourself" for the gig. No cables shall be mated until the night of the show. No wonder things don't always work out.

Back