C414BTLII -vs- KSM44 -vs- AT4050 -vs- Babybottle

stevem554

if you were starting a project studio and were planning to get a quality mic to be good for different voices, which one of these would you choose?

$700- C414BTLII (amazon price)
$700- KSM44
$600- AT4050
$600- Baby Bottle

I do have some other mics:
(Okatava mk319, Senn e609 silver, MXL 67, CAD M179)

I plan to get these:
(SP T3, CAD VSM, Beyer M130)

You have them listed in the order I would choose. I like the Baby Bottle, but the other three mics are much more versatile so i would reccomend at least one of the other three before you add a baby bottle to your collection.

stevem554 said:
if you were starting a project studio and were planning to get a quality mic to be good for different voices, which one of these would you choose?

$700- C414BTLII (amazon price)
$700- KSM44
$600- AT4050
$600- Baby Bottle

I do have some other mics:
(Okatava mk319, Senn e609 silver, MXL 67, CAD M179)

I plan to get these:
(SP T3, CAD VSM, Beyer M130)

I don't own the Baby Bottle so I can't comment about it... and the C414, KSM44, AT4050 are all good mics... which one I would pick might depend on what day it was.

thanks for the responses :)

I'm leaning towards the TLII. I've always wanted one since it came out. but it was always out of reach $ wise. I just wonder why amazon (full compass?) has them so cheap.

hmmmmmm

I'm not being funny but I can't believe it's such an imprecise art! After reading hundreds of very-definitely-my-opinion-and-everyone-else-will-be-wrong threads, it's weird to read one where the people who use these mics go, "yek, just buy any of 'em". What's up with you all??

EDIT - I've only used the 4050, seems like a great mic but the other mics I've used aren't exactly exhaustive ... so sorry if I'm a little off-topic.

noisedude said:
After reading hundreds of very-definitely-my-opinion-and-everyone-else-will-be-wrong threads, it's weird to read one where the people who use these mics go, "yek, just buy any of 'em". What's up with you all??

Well, basically, the poster just happened to list three or four mics that are all basically good, solid workhorses of similar quality, and sell at around the same price.

What is there to argue about? :D

I don't think the TLII is the best 414. My experience is limited, however, someone else.....Richie, Harvey????Warhead

All of the listed mics are great mics, and should not dissapoint. Technically I have not used a KSM44. I do however have a lot of experience with 414's, 4050's and both KSM32's and 27's. All of them are VERY usable and can grow with you no matter what your mic locker looks like. I absolutely love BLUE mics, but many of them don't seem to have the versatility that certain others do. My vote goes to the 414, but the 4050 and KSM 44 is not far behind in my opinion:)

Like DJL, my current mood might decide which mic I purchase of those.

earworm said:
i 'd go for the AKG c414 , but i got the B-ULS version,
great mic, i'm loving it :)

I like that mic also. I personally think the ksm44 does well on more sources though, and I got mine on ebay for $495...

God, can't you just feel the love? C414- KSM44- AT4050- You can't go wrong. BTW- I agree that the Baby Bottle is a cool mic, but its character, as well as its lack of multi-pattern capability, bass cuts, and pads, make it more of a specialty mic. The other 3 are all proven Swiss army knives. They are among the most versatile utility mics in the world, even at their relatively modest price point. I like the 414, personally.
Gee Kenny, there are basically 4 versions that are commonly used- EB, B-ULS, TLII, and BXLII. The old EB's are a studio standard, discontinued, and greatly sought after in good condition. The switches are fragile, so check them out. B-ULS gets no respect, but is a lovely mic with bizzillions of applications. I use it a lot. TLII is supposedly biased for vocals, and has a capsule adapted from the flagship C12. Most engineers prefer it to B-ULS, but I am not always one of them. As I said, I like B-ULS a lot. BXLII is the newest version, with an electret diaphragm, 5 polar patterns. I haven't heard it, but it's gotten uniformly good reviews, even from engineers who aren't fond of the 414. It is more pricey, and it is also the reason why the street price of B-ULS and TLII have been coming down. Good for everybody. If I had to throw away all my mics but one, and record everything with that one, it would be a 414.-Richie

FWIW if Bob Ohlsson was starting his microphone collection from scratch, he'd get a EV RE20 or Shure SM7, before getting another LDC on this list.
Putting his opinion before mine as he "may" know a bit more than me.

Assuming the Oktava is a "good one", then you already have four good mics-
although the T3 would be a smart addition IMHO.

Ty Ford has considerable experience with the 414 B/ULS and thinks "which pre" you select with it has a large bearing, as he's gotten excellent results with it before.

Albeit with less detail, you can get "similar type" sound with a $75 used EV 635a instead of the Baby Bottle (per Scott Dorsey at RAP).
Been said that a studio without a 635a is like it's missing a coffee maker.:)

How good are your pre's, acoustical room treatment(s), A/D convertors, etc. right now? You may want to consider investing $$ in that direction also.

Chris

P.S. The "silver" 414 EB's are considered more desirable than the black.
One was used for Brad Delp's lead vocals BTW (Boston).
Thought Richie might appreciate that!:)

<< How good are your pre's, acoustical room treatment(s), A/D convertors, etc. right now? You may want to consider investing $$ in that direction also. >>

the answers are as follows: crap, really horrible, ungodly crap. :)

pres: presonus bluetube. (I bought on ebay-$50)

but plan to get, M Audio DMP3/RNC, RNP/that little summit comp, Joe meek OneQ, TL Audio 5050.

acoustic treatment: I'm planning to get some foam from www.mcmaster.com

AD converters: currently tascam us122
but plan to get the M Audio firewire (would love to get the mini-me)

I guess I have bigger fish to fry but i just love mics :eek:

Back