C1/studio projects

Freudian Slip

Am I right that the c1 is a studio projects mic?
I read all the commets on it and am aware the maker is a member.

I would like to check it out on line and am looking for a web sight or retailer sight with info regarding the line of mics and prices.
I am soon to be in the market for a studio vocal mic. I do not have a bundle to spend and I am looking at bang for buck.

Also, I have had classic style vocal training wich teaches you to mute your vowels and such. My voice tends to come off pretty dark. because of this it it is hard to mix were most can understand some of the lyrics with out making them over powering. So I guess I am looking for high freq. detail and clarity.
Is there a better mic in the line for that than others? If not what might I look at?

Thanks for any help.

FS

Yes the C1 is a Studio Projects mic....read through the posts over the past couple of months in this Mic Forum and you will see many threads about it....several audio clips also....damn fine mic.....

Freudian, the website is www.studioprojectsusa.com
In addition to owning a C1, my vocal training was roughly equivalent to
a year of classical training, so I understand your question (I think!).
Although YMMV, chances are the C1 would be a fine choice for you.
Alan Hyatt, the owner of Studio Projects, has stated that the new
B series mikes will be slightly darker in tone than the C series, so it will
be a matter of taste. I kidded with Alan over the phone (the B1 will have
a list price of about $100!!), that even kids could buy his mikes now!
He sincerely told me the B series mike will sound excellent also.

P.S. Alan really thinks his VT-1 mic pre will be a "great bang for the buck"
too, you may want to check it out on the website.

Thanks!!!!

If one of you is the owner or knows him you might mention I searched yahoo for "studio projects microphone" and came up totaly blank. It might be a consern for him/you.

Just trying to help.

I'm reading the reviews for this mic online. WOW. Maybe this is the step up from the SM-57 that I've been looking for.

SM-57

I have 3 brand new SM-57'S. You would not catch me recording vocals on one. I would say any decent cond. mic would be a step up for detailed work like vocals.

I do use a sm-57's for guitar and drums with much success though.

FS

Yeah...

The SM-57, I'll never stop using.

And it was fine for the first couple of years, as I got used to recording. But now that I'm starting to get more serious, and actually think about releasing something... sometimes the sound of my vocal takes with that microphone just make me want to scream!

I'm listening to Queue's demos now... very very nice. I think this may be the mic for me!

I read all the commets on it and am aware the maker is a member.

lol the 'maker' Alan Hyatt has been in the pro audio biz for a long time! He is not some homerecording hobbiest who decided to make a mic for his pals at homerecording.com. He came to this BBS after the mic was made, to launch his product which is aimed mainly at the homerecording market.

Re: Thanks!!!!

Freudian Slip said:
If one of you is the owner or knows him you might mention I searched yahoo for "studio projects microphone" and came up totaly blank. It might be a consern for him/you.

Just trying to help.

just did a Yahoo/Google search of "Studio Projects C1" and they were #1, but a search of "Studio Projects" results in every studio under the sun coming up.

A little search engine registration for the new B1 series will no doubt be pending. It would certainly help bump them to the top of many search engine lists again. (Alan, I can generate a search engine report for you.... trade? hehe)

nP

My take on the C1

I have owned an SM-57 for years. Records fantastically for electric guitars. For voice, it' just wouldn't cut it. I mean, if you are after that really nice, high-end studio sound, FORGET cutting vocal tracks with an SM-57. It will always have a bit of an amateur edge, unless you do thrash metal or simialr.

I also have a CAD E-100 and a CAD-E200 at my disposal right now. For vocals, the E-100 sucked, the E-200 was pretty decent.

Having read so much about the studio projects mic around the web, I decided to get one.

WHhhooooaaaa! OH MY GOD!!!!
FINALLY!!!!!!!

Before I go on, you MUST try one for yourself. Borrow one overnight if you have to, and try before you plunk your money down.

What you read all over the web isn't BS. This thing is incredible. I have been testing it for the past 3 days cutting vocal tracks that need nothing more than compression after. No EQ, no processing, NADA.

I don't want to rant too long, as it's better if whoever is interested just go and borrow one overnight and try it.
Nothing is better than hearing it for yourself.

Trust me, this thing isn't just a step up from a 57, it's LIGHT YEARS away.

SH

Eurythmic,
I'm glad you liked my samples...
I have a hard time listening to them, cuz they are BONE DRY... no nuthin at all. I usually add some compression and reverb, but that's not such a good thing for testing...

The C1 is a great mic for $230. The Marshall V67 has gone as low as $149, and Harvey's comparison pegged the two mics as very similar in sound, but the C1 was a little hotter signal (paraphrasing).

I haven't seen Alan posting here in a while, but if you've read the archives around here, you'll realize that Studio Projects is a company with excellent service.

Don't let my post count fool you. I'm just a homey like the rest... I was tired of my 57 at the same time the C1 came onto the market. I've never used a different condenser, but I'm very happy with my purchase, and have no reservations recommending it to others here.

Do be careful with the thing, all Condenser mics are nowhere near as durable as an SM57. Read the manual carefully, and read the threads here on proper care and use of condensers. The diaphragm is very sensitive, and can easily be damaged by a blast of air/wind, they don't like humidity either.

Enjoy,

Queue

Queue said:
Eurythmic,
I'm glad you liked my samples...
I have a hard time listening to them, cuz they are BONE DRY... no nuthin at all. I usually add some compression and reverb, but that's not such a good thing for testing...

The C1 is a great mic for $230. The Marshall V67 has gone as low as $149, and Harvey's comparison pegged the two mics as very similar in sound, but the C1 was a little hotter signal (paraphrasing).

I haven't seen Alan posting here in a while, but if you've read the archives around here, you'll realize that Studio Projects is a company with excellent service.

Don't let my post count fool you. I'm just a homey like the rest... I was tired of my 57 at the same time the C1 came onto the market. I've never used a different condenser, but I'm very happy with my purchase, and have no reservations recommending it to others here.

Do be careful with the thing, all Condenser mics are nowhere near as durable as an SM57. Read the manual carefully, and read the threads here on proper care and use of condensers. The diaphragm is very sensitive, and can easily be damaged by a blast of air/wind, they don't like humidity either.

Enjoy,

Queue

Post count? Screw post count! I'm too busy staring at the awesome purple thing. :)

Anyway, no need to put a disclaimer on the demo. It took some serious stones to give out a dry recording of your voice. It sounded LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the SM-57. And since I use the SM-57 to record my acoustic guitar too, I was definitely interested in Zoetrope's recording.

I was getting ready to save up for a Neumann. So this is definitely a huge relief. :)

Hi everbody, just wanted to point out that oddly enough, Alan LIKES
hanging around on our bbs-sure he may score some sales on his mikes,
but there's already so much buzz about the C series from happy customers
that they almost sell themselves!

I went avatar hunting, wanted an animated one. That purple thing sucked me right in, didn't have to look after I found that one...

As far as the stones thing... I basically figgered "if it helps people, I can do it." I'm pretty aware of my limitations, and don't fancy myself the "next big thing". Just another guy who likes to make and record his own music.

Queue

Once again thanks for all the opinions.

It's sounds like the C1 may be the mic I am looking for. I may look at the EV as well. I am singing 2 feet back from thie mic I am using now, so I assume that the lower signal level might not be as much of an issue. On the other hand on an accoustic guitar it would be nice to have the extra signal. My main objective remains vocals though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for being away for a while, but I have been busy with our new Toft Audio line. I am at the AES Show in New York right now and am having a blast.

We have the Neumann U87 set up right next to the new B Series mics, and we are turning heads all over the place. Thanks to all of you for the support on this group for our mics. I am glad the new buyers are still blown away by them. We work hard to keep the consistency dead on.

There are deals out there on Marshall right now that may be hard to resist. Frankly I think we have cut into their sales and they are a little scared, especially after they have been at my booth to hear the B Series, so the only thing they can think of doing is to cut their price.

Well, I am flattered by that, but our mics are what they are, and they will not come down, but the new B Series is a more affordable line that will still compete favorably with all the brands.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I am here, and thanks to all of you.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

so with the Marshall MXLv67 and the C1 sounding to me as pretty much the same mic, and I could get the Marshall mic for $70, why should I buy the C1?....serious question, not a flame......

Don't discount the 57 as a vocal mic too soon.

I'm not saying it's a great vocal mic. What I am saying is that there is the "right" mic for everything depending on what your going after for sound. We were doing a live recording and trying to select vocal mics for 4 voacalists. We used a Neumann 105 for a sweet sounding female vocal and Beta 58's on the 2 males but the other female vocal had a very deap register that wasn't working with anything we tried. RE20, 421 U47, 105 you name it. Eventually someone suggested a 57 with a wind screen and that's the one the fit in the overall mix. Point is you have to try things to find the right one.

You just never know.

Don Goguen
Folk Cafe Productions

Back