buying a used condenser mic?

jwkim

So I may be able to buy an AT4033a used for $200 in my area and the guy
claims that it is not too old and hasn't been used much except in a studio environment.

I would be more than willing to dish out 200 bucks for that mic since it is very pricey new (for me at least)...

Any advice on what I can check to make sure that the mic is in proper working order
before the exchange?

How different will the sound be comparing used from new? how would i spot hidden damages if there are any?

If I were you, I'd smell the microphone to make sure that it hasn't been used as some kind of sex toy. At least not recently.

I would have someone else sniff it for you. :)

lol!
I bought a used AT4040 not too long ago... To ensure that the mic was working properly, I took my Zoom H4 recording device to my local guitar shop the day before and recorded myself singing a little song. Then when I met with the CL guy to buy the mic, I recorded another little ditty with the 4040 and compared the two. They sounded reasonably close, so I bought the mic.

I realize that might be a little more work than many ppl might be willing to do, but it's an option. I think that in the end, it's all about asking questions and taking chances. If it doesn't seem right or you get a strange vibe from the guy, duck out and don't worry about missing out on a "deal". Because really, one can't save money by spending it - especially when spending it on something that might not work properly.

the AT4033a has been out of production for a while. With other models since then 4033cl and whatnot. So even if he got the very last one produced, it's at least a couple years old IMO. Still a pretty good mic though. And $200 is about the going rate with a shock mount and case. As opposed to no shockmount and a bag, which I've seen go for $150 or less.

Used mics ussualy aren't a problem, especially condensers. Dynamics can de-magnatize through the years, whyle condensers work differently all together. Look at the number of studio's using vintage condensers and say they sound better then the modern version of the same mic.

I have one of those small, crappy Behringer mixers with two XLR inputs and Phantom power, which I use for checking cables/mics when I do repairs. I always take it with me when I pick up a mic for a couple of quick tests.

Smelling the mic isn't a bad idea, but mostly smell for sigarette smoke. Then again, James Jamerson used to say: "the dirt keeps the funk".

Insist on trying the microphone out where you are purchasing it.
You'll know right off the bat if it's a dud or soon to be dud.

I think there might be some minor diff in EQ traits. The a version has a pretty slick low end, but kind of dips in the baritone voice. Works really well on most female type voices because of the EQ. And bass guitar, tuba, bass trombone (but not tenor trombone). The cl version tries to be more pre AT4040-ish and flatter in the EQ iirc. Otherwise the same mic. Perhaps a different electronic component internally or something. And of course an age difference. Although there was probably more done on the box that it comes in than the mic itself IMO. Not that I've verified any of that. But there were many fans that favored the a over the cl BITD.

The AT4033a is a pretty wide cardioid pattern. Almost... OMNI in my opinion. Great for the middle of a group, but even positioning it to favor a baritone voice (proximity), a noticeable dip in that frequency range. i.e. If you use it on brass quintet, it'll sound awesome, except for the trombone part that'll have to play twice as loud to get a proper balance in the capture. And/or be half the distance away from the mic than the other players are. It was just really weird for my needs at the time, but still awesome. Every little squeaky chair, the kids talking in the far corner of the room, that pesky cricket, and mind of it's own ice machine, all captured in stunning clarity IMO. I long for an AT4050 because I had the AT4033a at one time. And I got an AT3035 to hold me over in the meantime. Not quite the same sort of animal, but still pretty good. The AT4033a was probably better than the SM81's that I had at one time, but it might be a sentimental bias. And a spec thing where the 4033's SPL limit and lack of directionality favors my situation.

wow never knew it was close to being omni... thnx

Well when I first started using it (first XLR mic I ever owned), I was using the back side of it. And when I figured that out, and turned it around, it was different, but not way different. Of course having an after market shock mount that covered the logo up didn't help in that realization. And it might just be a room thing since most of my rooms are untreated and it picks up the room pretty well. Not OMNI, but pretty close to it IMO. Definitely a wide cardioid.

Back