Buying some new mics...Need advice!

arr0ww

I am looking to upgrade my mic setup, I currently own: SM57, Apex 415 & a set of Apex 185's. I have AKG C3000b that died, which I may use as a base for a DIY mic eventually.

I'm mainly looking to record vocals and acoustic guitar via Presonus Firepod into Logic X. I plan on eventually grabbing a better single/dual channel preamp to go along with some better mics. My current music fund is sitting at $750 and I generally buy used items.

What are good options? 1 x LDC and 2x SDC? or should I just grab a pair of LDC's? There is a Jolly Oktava 319 on my local craigslist for $450 which I thought was a good deal, but it seems the person it not responding.

Thanks!

Neumann TLM103 would be a serious contender in that price range, mine has served me well. I've used it for vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric), percussion, flutes, basically anything you can throw at it, it sounds consistently good and always warm.

I am looking to upgrade my mic setup, I currently own: SM57, Apex 415 & a set of Apex 185's. I have AKG C3000b that died, which I may use as a base for a DIY mic eventually.

I'm mainly looking to record vocals and acoustic guitar via Presonus Firepod into Logic X. I plan on eventually grabbing a better single/dual channel preamp to go along with some better mics. My current music fund is sitting at $750 and I generally buy used items.

What are good options? 1 x LDC and 2x SDC? or should I just grab a pair of LDC's? There is a Jolly Oktava 319 on my local craigslist for $450 which I thought was a good deal, but it seems the person it not responding.

Thanks!

I got a butt load of microphones for sale in the want ads here at HR. Take your pick. ;)

If you like stereo recording acoustic instruments a pair of SDCs is always good to have.
I have sm81s but there are others. I've always fancied a pair of mk012s (I've tried them).

I also have a pair of mk219s that I love. Sometimes I used those on acoustic guitar too; Sometimes just one of them for vocals.
They can be had for very little money!

I have not checked his webpage in awhile but I think Joly sells modded 319's for less than that.

Decided to quite being lazy.............I went to his page and he list's a mod for the 319 at $299 BUT it appears that may include the mic too. Little hard to tell as some mods state "On your mic" which infers you supply the mic and others including the 319 do not say this which (to me) means the mic is included. Contact him and check.

Neumann TLM103 would be a serious contender in that price range, mine has served me well. I've used it for vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric), percussion, flutes, basically anything you can throw at it, it sounds consistently good and always warm.

I was looking at that as an option, what is a good used price on those?

I have not checked his webpage in awhile but I think Joly sells modded 319's for less than that.

Decided to quite being lazy.............I went to his page and he list's a mod for the 319 at $299 BUT it appears that may include the mic too. Little hard to tell as some mods state "On your mic" which infers you supply the mic and others including the 319 do not say this which (to me) means the mic is included. Contact him and check.

The $299 is just the mod, the the 319's are hard to find in Canada for under $200.

The SM57 should serve you well for vocals. If you wanted to go a different route and keep it dynamic for the vocal mic.........I also use a Sennheiser e935. Cuts through like an SM57 but gives you a different character. Costs more but is worth it. As for the acoustic guitar.........in that price range........look for a pair of Oktava MK012's. You'll never regret getting those. Just my 2 cents.

Back