Buying a new mic tomorrow, any recommendations?

Sahar Cohen

TOMORROW I'm going to buy a new mic for my studio. I need a high quality mic that has no hiss noise, and reduced plosives. My budget is around 100$-120$.
(I'm recording only vocals, no instruments)
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

TOMORROW I'm going to buy a new mic for my studio. I need a high quality mic that has no hiss noise, and reduced plosives. My budget is around 100$-120$.
(I'm recording only vocals, no instruments)
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
What do you have now for mic & interface? Are you using a pop filter already?

The first and most important questions have been asked by keith above.

Why the sudden rush to get a mic tomorrow? Your best bet is to start simple and determine what you need with a bunch of research and advice. I would at least spend more than 24 hours to get replies. 48 minutes and you haven't responded back. It could take a week for some pro level members to reply.

:)

And it does depend on what you are recording with. More info is required before I could give any suggestion that would be best. And even then it would just be an opinion.

In that budget, maybe a SM58 with a pop filter?

I see you are in France so I am not sure what things cost out there.

I am sure they sell nylon stockings that you could DIY a pop filter. :D

What do you have now for mic & interface? Are you using a pop filter already?
for now I have a really shitty old behringer XM8500 mic, my audio interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. and no, I don't use a pop filter already but I was thinking of getting one when I'll go to buy the mic.

for now I have a really shitty old behringer XM8500 mic, my audio interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. and no, I don't use a pop filter already but I was thinking of getting one when I'll go to buy the mic.

Then I would go with the 58 and pop filter. Much better than the Behri you have.

The first and most important questions have been asked by keith above.

Why the sudden rush to get a mic tomorrow? Your best bet is to start simple and determine what you need with a bunch of research and advice. I would at least spend more than 24 hours to get replies. 48 minutes and you haven't responded back. It could take a week for some pro level members to reply.

:)

And it does depend on what you are recording with. More info is required before I could give any suggestion that would be best. And even then it would just be an opinion.

In that budget, maybe a SM58 with a pop filter?

I see you are in France so I am not sure what things cost out there.

I am sure they sell nylon stockings that you could DIY a pop filter. :D
The sudden rush to get a mic tomorrow is that I need to record vocals for my new project on friday and it's really shitty with my current mic (XM8500 Behringer, which is not even a Studio mic). I've done some research recently and that's why I'm asking for your recommendations. I'm also thinking of getting a popfilter when I'll buy the mic.

I read a lot about the RODE M1 mic, how is it? is it good for studio use?

btw lmao I'm not from France, I'm from Israel.

The sudden rush to get a mic tomorrow is that I need to record vocals for my new project on friday and it's really shitty with my current mic (XM8500 Behringer, which is not even a Studio mic). I've done some research recently and that's why I'm asking for your recommendations. I'm also thinking of getting a popfilter when I'll buy the mic.

I read a lot about the RODE M1 mic, how is it? is it good for studio use?

btw lmao I'm not from France, I'm from Israel.

Never even heard of the Rode M1. Could be decent. Tons of people use the SM58 though. Anything likely better than that $20 mic you are using now.

I just looked up your IP address and that what pulled up. No offense. :)

Never even heard of the Rode M1. Could be decent. Tons of people use the SM58 though. Anything likely better than that $20 mic you are using now.

I just looked up your IP address and that what pulled up. No offense. :)
someone recommended me "BLUE Encore 200" and "Audio Technica AT2035". do you have any knowledge on those mics? is the SM58 better? which one do you think I should get? I'll start doing some research on the SM58 though, looks like a good mic.

If your room isn't acoustically treated, I would say go with a dynamic mic. But that again is just my opinion.

Some love a condenser mic even in crappy sounding rooms. It really just depends on what works for your voice. You can always use the SM58 for instruments in the future. That would be my final answer.

Take it for what it is. :)

Best to you Sahar! Nice to meet you.

Jimmy

Thank you very much Jimmy! you really helped me :)

You are very welcome. I try to help when I can and I have learned a huge amount from members of this forum over the years.

A great community of knowledgeable people that care to share.

Welcome to the forum and please let us know how it goes for you!

There are a lot of good dynamic microphones in the $100USD price range, like the mentioned SM58, or even SM57. I've used both for vocals, and also had a lot of experience with Sennheiser E835, if that's something you can find locally. But really, all of the major brands have something to compete with the SM58, and any of them would be a good step up. Just check online reviews.

If plosives are a problem (you mentioned it), then I wouldn't just think about getting a pop filter, because if you have that nice mic, and record everything and still have the problem, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting one. A good one might strain your budget a bit though. Not sure what you have available locally.

Good luck.

Just a reference to the Rode M1 mentioned earlier, it is a live vocal mic really fore use with PA systems. The gig I live mix at has them and I actually really like them, however they are not really for studio use. LINK

Alan.

Back