Buying a new Mic - NTV, TLM-603 or C1

HarvardShark

Buying a new Mic - NTK, TLM-603 or C1

Hello everyone. I am buying a new MIC ASAP that I will use to record vocals this weekend. I am deciding between a Rode NTK, Neumann TLM-603 or the Studio Projects C1. All 3 mics are not expensive at all but I can only buy 1 (otherwise, my wife would kill me).

If money is no concern at all to buy just one mic, which one would you buy tomorrow???

Last edited:
The Neumann TLM 103 is nice....if money is no object, Id have it already.....if money is an object, the Marshall MXLv67 is nice for the price........

If you get the C1 you get a fine mike plus extra $$ for other audio toys
like maybe a nicer mic pre, etc., if you're considering that in the future.

AKG C414 is supposed to be very good ($800) so it's not a whole lot more than the TLM103. But I would definitly check out a C1 (I'll probably be getting one shortly......hopefully).

Money no object? Then I would go with the AKG C12vr and only about $4,000. :D

-tkr

AKG C12vr

The AKG C12vr is an absolutely beautiful mic. Unfortunately, I narrowed down my choices between the Rode, C1 and Neumann TLM :-)

I'm ordering the C1 today. The Neumann TLM was my first choice but since the C1 is sonically similar to the TLM, then the decision was obvious because of the price. As chessparov said, I could save the remaining $$ for other stuff. For a little, I was leaning on the Studio Projects T3 tube mic, but I'm just a beginning project studio engineer so I'll probably buy that one later on.

I'm actually waiting on the Windows release for Audiosport Duo or Quattro so the money saved would pay for either one.

I'll post some mp3s next week sometime w/ the results. Cheers.

The C1 is similar to the U87, but not really the TLM. The NTK, however, sounds a great deal like the TLM. Tube mics have a meatier, thicker sound.

mmm... That's too broad a statement for ME.

To use Harvey's line:

"A good transformerless mic will beat a bad mic with a transformer, but a good transformer mic will beat a bad transformerless mic design."

A good transistor mic will beat a bad mic with a tube, but a good tube mic will beat a bad transistor mic design.

Ok kewl. I'd have to agree that on my ntv there's a certain "meatiness"....if thats what you'd call it. It's just something thats usually desirable for me, but not always. Some voices it amazes me....some voices I choose to use mic modeler. :)

Re: mmm... That's too broad a statement for ME.

Recording Engineer said:
To use Harvey's line:

"A good transformerless mic will beat a bad mic with a transformer, but a good transformer mic will beat a bad transformerless mic design."

A good transistor mic will beat a bad mic with a tube, but a good tube mic will beat a bad transistor mic design.

I'm still trying to digest this. Let me see . . . basically what you're saying is a good mic will beat a bad one. :)

Well I could 'a told you that ! :) :) :)

yeah...redundant quote

It's like saying: "A mediocre car with a fine, tuned engine will run better than a bad sportscar. However a good sportscar will run better than a mediocre car witn a bad engine." ;)

cheerz

Back