Buying a bunch of XLR cables

chaimesparker

I just bought a mixer with 16 channels. I'm looking get 10-12 new xlr cables to use, some 50 feet, some 25. Anyone know a place that sells reliable cables without totally breaking the bank? I'm looking to spend no more than $150.

Also, take a look at Monoprice.com while you're shopping. I've been buying A/V cables from them for a long time, and I've just started buying balanced cables from them recently. Their prices are insane, and I haven't had issues with bum cables in the past few years (had a couple of HDMI cables go bad on me early on, but not recently). I'm really happy with the 1/4"-1/4" balanced cables I bought from them earlier this year.

Also, take a look at Monoprice.com while you're shopping. I've been buying A/V cables from them for a long time, and I've just started buying balanced cables from them recently. Their prices are insane, and I haven't had issues with bum cables in the past few years (had a couple of HDMI cables go bad on me early on, but not recently). I'm really happy with the 1/4"-1/4" balanced cables I bought from them earlier this year.

I know!
I've gotten 300 feet of cat5 cable for my digital snake at $11. Per 100 feet.
And 50 foot HDMI cable at $15.
Now one in the world comes close to their prices.

Thanks for the heads up on Monoprice.com went and checked em out, looks like they carry everything I've need at a decent price.

Thanks for the heads up on Monoprice.com went and checked em out, looks like they carry everything I've need at a decent price.

Do check out the ends of the cords though. Some have cheap connectors while others have good quality.

Do check out the ends of the cords though. Some have cheap connectors while others have good quality.

Definitely. It's easy to get a little lost in all of the options there. Pay close attention to the item descriptions since they have so many similar items that all kind of look the same at a glance. They do have some really cheapo stuff, but they also carry some damn good cable.

You are in the colonies so no good my suggesting our blokes! However...
16 channel mixer eh?! You will need a lot more leads down the road!

I strongly suggest you invest in some soldering gear and a 50mm swivel table vice and some basic tools including a digital multimeter (and get one that bleeps for continuity).

Then, many of the audio cables you use in a studio hardly ever move once fitted. Little point then in paying for Neutrik connectors (excellent tho they be!) and super flexible sexy, 6mm mic cable. Cheaper plugs and 3-4mm foil shielded cable will work every bit as well electronically and foil shields are SO much easier to terminate using as they do a copper drain wire. Also buy some heat shrink sleeving to beef up the poor cable retainers found in cheaper connectors.

Dave.

For $150 bucks....and individual cables, not a snake......buy a spool of decent cable, connectors and make your own at whatever legnths you need.

You can also check eBay for bulk deals and even used stuff if you don't wan't to make your own....right now everyone is trying unload leftover Xmas stock, so good prices can be found.

+1 on the soldering iron and gear. Even if you don't make your own because it's as cheap to buy them made or whatever reason. The iron and gear will always come in handy when one is in need of repair.

I second Monoprice. Especially if you aren't moving around the cables much. I've had 10 for around 3 years (25' XLR) and only one has had shielding issues since. Each cable is around $11 or something with gold plated tips and braided shielding. Definitely INSANE for the price.

Also lifetime warranty.

There's plenty of options. The most popular ones are Amazon and Ebay. As far as XLR cables are concerned, I would shop with Amazon -- They have a better return policy as well as cheaper prices

Thanks for the Monoprice suggestion, I needed three 25'- XLR cables for my new recording rig, and they had them very reasonable with gold connectors. I ordered three. Should be here early next week. :)

Gold connectors! Danger Will Robinson. If they have gold plating and the price was cheap, then fine, but I really hope you didn't spend extra money on them.

Gold connectors! Danger Will Robinson. If they have gold plating and the price was cheap, then fine, but I really hope you didn't spend extra money on them.

I LURVE Gold connectors! Dream to solder but yes, if you think they will improve the sound, sorry no.
They do of course resist oxidation but then they are very unlikely to mate with Gold so only Arferjob!
Use more than twice and the plating is gone anyway.

Dave.

The price for the 25'-XLR cables with the gold plated connectors was only about $10.12 bucks apiece...that's about as cheap as they get. They look like good cables, they're 16 gauge. They should be good enough for light usage in my home studio.

My Monoprice cables are all still alive and well. I use lots and lots of their TRS cables to and from a patchbay, but they don't get touched often since they're all plugged into the back of my equipment. Their XLR cables (10', 35', 50') are all still kicking as well, and they do get plugged and unplugged somewhat often.

All in all, I'd have a hard time recommending against them. They're cheap, and they've served me well. Just like they did 2 1/2 years ago when this thread was started ;)

Well, Sweetwater has Mogami cables 25', XLR connectors...$69 bucks and change for each. I need three, that would cost me about $210 dollars. That's way out of my budget. So Monoprice it is.

Back