building a collection

polarity

So far when buying mics I've tried to do a step up but I started wondering. Once you get to a decent level mic do you start buying lots in that level for the different sounds or are you always trying to upgrade. Is the goal to get a u87m a 103 and c414 or once you're buying decent mics do you buy lots in that range?

You can find many great mics that cost very little. Lately I've been on a cheap-sleeper-mic mission and have scored 3 nice mics for $100

I have many mics of all different costs, I don't think I have ever sold a mic, cue ........... Moresound LOL

Alan.

Just picking up that c214 I've noticed a HUGE difference in sound from my other (cheaper) mics. It will be a little bit before I get my next mic but I was trying to figure out if I should keep trying to move up and get a 103 or a 414 if the sound will be that much better again.

I'm looking forward to expanding the collection. It seems like every new mic brings a new sound and a new application (obviously limited to the few I have so far). My brain keeps telling me though if the difference between a 2035 and a c214 is THAT huge, man that u87 must sound nice hahaha.

Honey can I have a few thousand dollars for a micro........ *SMACK*..... is that a no?

What I like to do is buy a mic when I need a specific job done and there's a mic that is known for being for that particular application(s). It's not always the most expensive mic I end up using either. For example an sm57 sounds better on my voice than some of my pricier mics. Most of my mics are sub-$500 my first $1,000 mic will be a miktek cv4 that I was recommended by my sales guy at sweetwater. I need it for some pop female vox, but I have heard great results from bjork and I think she just uses an sm58, so all depend. I would focus on getting a good mix of dynamics, sdc, ldc, and maybe a tube mic and a ribbon at whatever price range you can afford or willing to invest to cover all your bases and be ready to record most anything.

Back