Budget 'shotgun' microphone ??

60ndown

which one and where do i get it ??

i want it to record electric guitar/s in a 'rehearsal studio' environment... quite loud.

because i have limited simultaneous recording inputs on my digital recorder, i want to try and capture 2 musicians with 1 mic.

yea i know :)

I read your last thread and i understand your needs but be warned a shotgun might not be the best choice for a guitar cab. The polar pattern might seem attractive to try to eliminate bleed and in an ideal world this would be true.
Some shotguns have an open side grill too. which means it will also capture some sound from the sides too. so they might not be as directional as you think.
Also most shot guns are designed i believe to capture voices for video application and roll a fair bit of the bottom end (lower freqauncies).
So depending on your amps tone you might not get the results you want.
cheap shotguns can be had for cheap on ebay if you just want to try one.
It never hurts to have one in your mic locker.
Good luck finding what you want.
Whats your budget ?

which one and where do i get it ??

i want it to record electric guitar/s in a 'rehearsal studio' environment... quite loud.

because i have limited simultaneous recording inputs on my digital recorder, i want to try and capture 2 musicians with 1 mic.

yea i know :)

Why do you want a shotgun mic. then?

This is the wrong mic. for what you want to to.

A cardioid would be much better, or maybe a super-cardioid if the musicians are close together and you can live with the room acoustic on the rear lobe.

after watching this youtube video on microphones,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDmSaxqX1U&feature=channel&list=UL

i figure i can aim the shotgun at 2 guitar amps side by side from about 12-18 inches, or a guitar amp and the drums, or the vocal pa and a guitar amp, from the video it looks like a shotgun mic rejects best anything thats not directly in front of it?

Why do you want a shotgun mic. then?

This is the wrong mic. for what you want to to.

A cardioid would be much better, or maybe a super-cardioid if the musicians are close together and you can live with the room acoustic on the rear lobe.

I don't think you're going to be happy with a shotgun mic for what your stated purpose is but there's only one way to find out. Here ys go.

Shotgun

If you are really, really hell bent for leather and want a shotgun microphone - I can hook you up with one for a Benjamin.

You know, I rehearse with my band in my fully equipped studio, and last week we wanted a demo of the new songs so everyone could take it home and listen to it. What did I record the demo with? a Zoom H2. You know what, the demo was fine, we could hear everything clear as day.

Forget the shotgun mic and all the other ideas and just buy a zoom.

Alan.

You know, I rehearse with my band in my fully equipped studio, and last week we wanted a demo of the new songs so everyone could take it home and listen to it. What did I record the demo with? a Zoom H2. You know what, the demo was fine, we could hear everything clear as day.

Alan.

Without a doubt ^THIS^

i have a tascam dr-05 and your right, its fine, but i like being able to tweak the mix a little after recording with 4 separate channels.

Alan.

Back