Budget ribbon mics

ex351d

I am interested in a pair of low budget ribbon mics, mainly for drum room duty, to add some magic to the snare drum. If possible but not necessary, I would like something that sounds good on guitar cabs too. I have to buy 'blind' as I could not find any in my country. The 3 most appealing are the sE Electronics X1R, T.bone RB500 and RM700 The latter 2 are the chinese microphones available with a lot of different names. I do not know if the short or long ribbon would be better suited for my needs.

I own a few cheap ribbons mics, and I actually really like them, I own a couple of FatHead ribbons that I bought from the guy here in Oz called Open Plan Recording. He basically gets hold of Chinese ribbons and makes sure they are in spec and mods them if you want. The FatHead he sells looks a lot like the RM700. I actually don't like them on drums that much, but that just my taste and Open Plan recommend them, but I do like them on guitar cabs, usually with an SM57 as well. I also like the fathead on acoustic guitar, sometimes with a LDC alongside. At the price they sell for I would give the RM700 a go, remember that Ribbon mics take a little getting used to as they have a much darker sound, after a while you realise that it's a good sound LOL.

Another cheap ribbon that I have is the MXL R40 (which is also like the R144) they come along on special now and then and also sound good on guitar cabs.

I would expect the SeX1R to also be a good ribbon as Se mics have a good reputation, however I don't own any.

Alan.

Interesting question re the long vs short ribbons. I have the Vinjet ('long) and Fathead (and an R121). But I've used the Vinjet so infrequently, I'd have to say I've never got my head around the differences it brings to it.
(I was attracted as it was one they offered with 'more high extension'.

add.. One nice thing re 'guitar cabs, They like being set out a few to several inches out. And not being super close' = a lot less touchy' on placement not being up on the cone.

Like witzendoz, I've never heard the sE X1R but I've yet to hear a bad microphone from sE. Certainly the basic sE X-1 is an excellent sounding mic for the money.

Like witzendoz, I've never heard the sE X1R but I've yet to hear a bad microphone from sE. Certainly the basic sE X-1 is an excellent sounding mic for the money.

I have an X1R and it gets a lot of use - guitar cabs, acoustic guitar work really well, haven't used it too much on vocals but I enjoyed what I heard. Sounded a bit thin on percussion though.

It's got a really nice tone to it when about a foot back from a cranked amp that really suprised me given that its ~£100 here in the UK. Blended with an SM57 on the grill and it's magic.

8/10 would buy again.

I have a Nady RSM 4 that makes me happy on vocals.

I don't use ribbons on vocals usually, but I have used the MXL R40 on one female singer and it really suited her voice. The Nady RSM4 is very similar to the FatHeads that I was talking about.

Alan

I have a set of really cheap ribbons that I've used for drum room mics that sound actually pretty good. I use a pair of Apex 205 ribbons however, I did modify them myself as depicted in the following link:

Ribbon mic mod ? part 1 ? Apex 205 - Hometracked

The mod makes a world of difference IMO but be careful when adjusting the ribbon tension. There are audio samples on the second page of the provided link.

I don't use ribbons on vocals usually, but I have used the MXL R40 on one female singer and it really suited her voice. The Nady RSM4 is very similar to the FatHeads that I was talking about.
Alan
Lately I've only been recording holiday music for distribution to family around whatever holiday. With limited time, we just one take the vocal harmonies around the mic. Ribbons are nice for this.

Lately I've only been recording holiday music for distribution to family around whatever holiday. With limited time, we just one take the vocal harmonies around the mic. Ribbons are nice for this.
...until one of them grabs it to do an 'Elvis impression on it :D

...until one of them grabs it to do an 'Elvis impression on it :D

I have it on one of these... keeps things official looking, and I'd much rather hear the Ella and Frankie impressions!

10760_SB96-_OSS_main.jpg&w=1200&h=1200

Back