BUDGET mic buying, Behringer C-4, vocals/instruments?

brand0nized

I'm on a budget and found the Behringer C-4 on Amazon and lala'd at the price. Can I use this small condenser pair to record acoustic guitar, piano, various instruments such as glockenspiel and melodica, and percussion such as cajon, shakers, and tombourines, AND VOCALS! I want to just buy one/one set of mic(s) and stick with it and work with them for a long while. I want to learn how to use my gear before I buy mroe expensive things.

You can use virtually any mic to record virtually any source.
I've never used the Behringer mics, so I can't give a personal opinion. But since you are looking to make a purchase and stick with it for a long time, I think there are probably better mics out there for close to the same price point that you will be happier with for a longer period of time.
I used a lot of prepositions in that sentence.

I have been using a pair of Behri C2 mics for a while and have been happy with the results. Great on percussion and drum overheads, quite good on acoustic gtr, piano, brass and woodwinds, good ambient and stereo field mics. Never used them for vox but with the proper mic technique they should work acceptably.
I am all for frugal choices and getting the most but don't expect a SDC to have the detail of a LDC for critical things like vox.

I have a pair of c2's and as far as experimental budget mics go they are quite good on acoustic guitars, shakers and percussion. I sometimes use them as a pair for stereo micing acoustics
Theres a quite severe bump in the freqauncy chart in the highs so as per any mic they dont suit every source. If you want to learn the value of your mic's be prepared to spend hours experimenting with mic positions and you will soon find it's limitations. I wish you luck in your recording quest and if you enjoy it half as much as i do you will be happy.

forgot to say i've used the c2's as a vocal mic for doing scratch track but i wouldnt recommend it as vocal mic. I sang into it off axis to get a recording anything like.
I prefer to use an large diaphragm condensor as a vocal mic.
it will work ok with tamborine too

While you hon your recording skills a pair of SDC will suit you just fine.
Then when the day comes that you want to expand your microphone locker and get a LDC, tube or a Large Diaphragm Dynamic microphone The heavens will open, you'll hear angelic choirs and you'll believe that you've die and went to heaven.
It will be like night and day with your recordings.

If you can hear what's missing from a Behringer C2 or C4, you don't need any help from us.
I'd go with either. It will be some time before you outgrow them.
Good mics.

Back