Broadcast or Condenser Micrphone

soundbase

I'm looking for some advice on a good microphone for voice overs. I do screencast training and need high quality voiceover audio to go with the videos.

I currently have a Samson C03 condenser. Its not the greatest as it has a high self-noise but it has done the job okay so far. I have been looking at upgrading to a better quality mic with a very low self noise. First I was looking at the Rode NT2-A as the self noise is very low and the quality and build is better than my Samson C03. Through my researching I stumbled up broadcast mics such as the Electro Voice RE-20 where the proximity is less of an issue and it picks up less of the background noise. I know this is a dynamic microphone so was wondering whch would be better for my situation. Then there is also the Rode Procaster and broadcaster. Any thoughts on these mics?

I have a semi-treated room, I could go further with more room treatment to deaden the sound. But have been wondering if a broadcast mic or a better quality condensor mic is my best option.

My nearest music store is a 2-hour drive away so it's difficult for me to go through and test some mics out, plus they have to order the stock first. So I would really appreciate feedback on what the best option would be more my situation.

+1 both of those mics are great and will be exactly what you need for V/O's. The sm7 has more proximity effect which may benefit you more if you're looking to get bassier ton. the re20 is really balanced with virtually no proximity effect which can benefit you if you have to move your head around a lot while reading. you won't get that same drop off like the sm7. You can't go wrong with either one imo, both are great getting the sound you want without eq, but if you need to eq, they both take it very well.

Shure SM7b and EV RE20 (and related RE27, RE320) should be at the tippy-top of your list - accompanied by the Sennheiser MD421. Those three tend to be the kings of broadcast/voiceover work.
I'll also throw out the Heil PR-40 and PR-30 as possibilities. Not a lot has been said about Rode's Procaster. MXL also offers a low cost broadcast style dynamic, the BCD-1. Those two mics haven't gotten a lot of attention, and I don't know much about them.
Plenty of high quality voiceover work has been done with a simple SM58 or Beta58. No problem.

All of that being said, voiceover work comprises exactly 0% of my activity. Best of luck.

"Sound" advice (pun intended). I have the 7B and 58 in my locker. I feel they work for my voice. Ample, clean gain is needed.

Back