Bluebird mic making buzzing sound

TheGiantLobster

Hello folks,

Some time ago I got a Blue Bluebird mic from eBay. It was working fine until, out of nowhere, it started making some buzzing sounds. If anyone had any ideas on what might be the problem, it'd be great!

The intensity of the noise is kind of random, there are moments it's louder and moments (although rare) you can barely hear it. It doesn't seem related to any movement I make or any parts I touch.

Also, I tested a Behringer C1 in the same input with the same cable and it worked perfectly.

Thank you!

Here's the noise for those who wanna hear it: (there's a lot of traffic in the back, but you'll surely identify the potato chip biting noise)
View attachment mic_noise.mp3

Possible dampness on the capsule causing electrical leakage. Put the the mic in a ziplock plastic bag with some fresh desiccant packs for a day or so and see if the noise clears up. If you don't have the desiccant packs dry rice in a nylon stocking/sock can be substituted.

Is it humid where you are located?

Oh thanks!

I just bought some of those desicant packs and gonna wait till them arrive to do the thing. (it will take some days though)

And, now that you said it, it's not that humid here, but I used to take hot showers with an open door. The mic was close, just getting the steam. So it may indeed be the problem.

Just coming here to say thanks bro.

I left the mic closed in a ziplock bag full of silica packets for 2 days. When I took it out of there, it was working like a charm! No buzz, no potato chips, nothing.

Just thanks :)

Just coming here to say thanks bro.

I left the mic closed in a ziplock bag full of silica packets for 2 days. When I took it out of there, it was working like a charm! No buzz, no potato chips, nothing.

Just thanks :)

You know you could just have dried it out in a warm non-humid environment, don't you?

You know you could just have dried it out in a warm non-humid environment, don't you?
What exactly is the optimum temperature and humidity to dry out a mic?
Plastic bag and desiccant is easier to explain.

Not speaking of this OP in particular (he did good with his explanation of the problem), but some that come here can't tie their own shoelaces.

Blue BlueBird Microphone - Buzzing sound

Hello everyone !
First time I'm going to post something here. I'm not english, so I'm sorry for my spelling mistakes.
So I'd like to ask you something . I'm using the Blue Bluebird Microphone plugged in a Tascam us 600 interface. I'm using this mic for a few month . I have noticed recently that sometimes ( dependind on the day ), I've got a permanent buzzing sound that doesn't change at all when I touch the mic. But This noice changes a little when I move the mic in different positions. To be sure, that the problem didn't come from the cable, the audio interface, interferences or the headset , I tried to plug the mic in my second audio interface (Presonus TubePre interface), in another room with another cable and headset. The noise is still there. What I don't understand is that sometimes, the mic works perfectly ! I recorded this buzzing sound that disappears when I switch off the phantom supply. Here's the audio file : View attachment Buzzing_sound.mp3
What do you think about it ?
Thank you very much.

The attached spectrum shows a spike at 100Hz and subsequent spikes at all the harmonics, 200, 300Hz ...

This indicates poor mains filtering in the phantom power supply or maybe one of the internal 6k8 spook feed resistors in the Tascam has changed value or even gone O/C? If you have the kit see my test regime in Contributions.

It is of course possible that the resistor has failed inside the mic but as it is a much newer device than the AI I suspect the latter.
Can you try the mic on another AI or mixer?

Dave.

Attachments

• Spec phanbuzz.bmp
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Thank you very much for your reply Dave.

You might be right but Yes, I tried to plug the mic in my Audio Presonus TubePre Interface and the noice's still there .I used another XLR cable and headset in case. I even test it in another room with just the Audio interface plugged in the outlet. I bought the Mic at the beginning of 2015. I used it a few times and it never fell down. I'm new here, so could you, please tell me , where's Contributions to see your test regime ?
Thank you a lot.
Gianni

GianGian,

Is the air where you particularly damp/humid presently? Where the 'buzz' seems to occur with two different interfaces it seems the buzz may originate from the microphone itself and possibly from the capsule having moisture on it. Any moisture that is present on the capsule might allow electrical leakage/tracking that can cause weird noises.
Drying the mic out might be worth a try if you think humidity might be the reason. If you can get some pouches of desiccant (like the ones that come with some electronic gear), put the mic and the desiccant pouches in a sealable/ziplock plastic bag for a day or two and see if the buzzing goes away. If you can't find desiccant pouches, dry white rice in a stocking can be put in the plastic bag with the mic. Both desiccant or rice will absorb moisture from the mic. If this works it might be worthwhile storing the mic in a bag with desiccant pouches.

These are on Amazon, but you might find something similar at a local store.....
https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-...-4&keywords=silica+gel+packets+desiccant&th=1

Thank you very much for your reply Dave.

You might be right but Yes, I tried to plug the mic in my Audio Presonus TubePre Interface and the noice's still there .I used another XLR cable and headset in case. I even test it in another room with just the Audio interface plugged in the outlet. I bought the Mic at the beginning of 2015. I used it a few times and it never fell down. I'm new here, so could you, please tell me , where's Contributions to see your test regime ?
Thank you a lot.
Gianni

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...utions/testing-phantom-power-delivery-391883/

I have no experience of a soggy mic(!) but doubt it would exhibit a fairly consistent buzz at 100Hz and up at a constant level of -24dBFS? But the drying out routine can do no harm.

Dave.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...utions/testing-phantom-power-delivery-391883/

I have no experience of a soggy mic(!) but doubt it would exhibit a fairly consistent buzz at 100Hz and up at a constant level of -24dBFS? But the drying out routine can do no harm.

Dave.
Yeah, the buzz is maybe unusual for a 'soggy' capsule, but the OP mentioned two different interfaces with the same resulting buzz, so it almost seems to point back towards a problem with the mic.
If you normalize the sample to bring it up to a good listening level, there is a slight shift in the frequency midway through which is a bit weird. The buzz is almost reminiscent old amps that had a motorboating syndrome.

GianGian,

Is the air where you particularly damp/humid presently?

Hello Arcaxis,
I use this mic in my bedroom which is not particularly damp. I have recently bough an hygrometer to get an idea of how much damp is my bedroom.
But I think it's a good idea to dry the mic out with pouches of dissicant. Thank you for your advices.

Perhaps you got the Hummingbird instead of Bluebird?

Hello Homestudioguy ,
I'm gonna take a look at the wrapping in case I made a mistake in my purchase lol !

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general...livery-391883/

Thank you Dave, I'm gonna read your test and see if it could be useful to try this !

but the OP mentioned two different interfaces with the same resulting buzz, so it almost seems to point back towards a problem with the mic.

Yes, I've got exactly the same result with the two interfaces :( .

Sometimes, the mic works well without doing anything different. And when it works, it does for a fairly long time . I can use it a whole day without any buzzing problems. But when it doesn't, it's impossible to use it . I have switched the phantom power supply off,switched on again and tried the mic a few times during one day but nothing has changed. When I switch the phantom supply off , the buzz sound slows down to disappearance.

Yeah, the buzz is maybe unusual for a 'soggy' capsule, but the OP mentioned two different interfaces with the same resulting buzz, so it almost seems to point back towards a problem with the mic.
If you normalize the sample to bring it up to a good listening level, there is a slight shift in the frequency midway through which is a bit weird. The buzz is almost reminiscent old amps that had a motorboating syndrome.

Not arguing Mark! Could well be damp. The specc' for the mic just says "48 volts" no figure for the current drain (why don't you tell us this very often mic peeps?) . If the OP is a bit handy he could build a battery powered phantom power circuit. Even PP3s (5 should be enough) should give several hours usage but although they would be a pain to rig, AAs would last ages. Most of us have several bits of battery kit so such a one-off test box would not be a lost cost.

Dave.

If the OP is a bit handy he could build a battery powered phantom power circuit

I'm not lol. I measured the damp rate in my bedroom. It's about 64% during the day and increase to 72% in the night. I'm gonna dry it out in case and if the problem's still there I think I will have to return it . it's still under warranty.
I will keep you informed about it .

Thanks to all of you !

Bluebird Buzz or phantom power issue?

hi everyone!

I found this input very useful, but I am just not sure if it's my bluebird mic that's the issue or if it's my Behringer Q502usb mixer. Attached I have the buzzing that's occuring -- The first button press is me releasing the phantom power, and then runing the phantom power back on is the explosion of sound. I have no idea where this is coming from. I use this mic on a daily basis and all of a sudden it's buzzing like this. The only thing that I have done differently in past few days was trying to use the bluebird mic with my new amp -- it's an ultracoustic AT108. I am not tech savvy in any sense of the word and probably should not have done that. When I plugged it into the amp it worked for a few seconds then stopped working so then I switched to a different mic. I'm putting it together now and realize the bluebird mic is probably not supposed to be plugged into an amp and i may have blown it out or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment Bluebird_Buzzing.mp3

The Berry amp is designed to accept mic input so it is very unlikely that it would damage the Bluebird. I am not sure if the amp has phantom power but if so did the mic work on it?

You have another microphone? Does that work with the mixer? Try it ONLY with phantom power OFF since this could well be the problem and you just might damage a dynamic mic (normal 48V will NOT cause damage) . If another mic works, unplug it and turn on phantom power. At the same gain/channel setting do you get the noise? If so, mixer is buggered.

The Noise. Fekkin' loud innit!? The mixer is a "Generic USB Audio Device" and as such you must set levels in Windows. Go into Sounds & Settings and check the mixer is set as default device and then check the record level. Probably be slammed to 100%. Set it back to 5% (that IS Five!) or less.
The buzz might be inherent. Gen' 1 USB mixers were not that good but setting the gain low can push the buzz into the noise floor. You are also stuck with a 16 bit system but you can still get good results with care, record at an average of -16dB FS or so and peak to no higher than -6dBFS.

Dave.

Thanks for your reply Dave!

So I just used a different mic (Shure Super 55) with phantom off and it's still buzzing. I also have a D5 AKG mic and the same buzzing occurrs with phantom off or on. You can hear that the mics are working, but that buzzing is there.

My sound settings on my macbook pro are all normal and I never mess with them anyway. I just double checked to be sure they are normal, too. Right now I have the latest version of Garageband installed and I never touch the settings and everything seems normal as far as I can tell.

So you agree that the problem is most likely the mixer is the culprit and it's broken? Do you have any idea why this would happen? I've had it for 3 years and pretty much use it everyday. I just didn't expect it to work one day and not the next without any warning.

Back