Blue Yeti mic and results with my grand piano

allanw

I bought a Blue Yeti mic for voice/guitar recording a few years back but now that I have a grand piano I decided to try miccing it with what I have.

I got some pretty good results with some unorthodox placement of the microphone since I don't have an easy method of mounting it. I like the audio results better than my first attempt in my previous video (placing the microphone on top of the music desk in its original position).

The piece is a beautiful jazzy arrangement of Chrono Trigger - Wind Scene (600 A.D.)
youtube.com/watch?v=PY-lLrclanw

Inexpensive piano and inexpensive microphone, but still good results! I added a little bit of reverb using Audacity and gverb, since I'm miccing close to the strings so it's too dry sounding on its own. Surprisingly the stereo image is decent. I did not perform any EQ (not sure how to figure out what EQ curve to use) but I did shift the balance a little bit to make the bass (left) side -2dB quieter.

Unfortunately my piano has some harsh high-pitched overtones when playing loudly which can be a little annoying (although most people don't seem to notice until I point it out). It seems to be an issue with the duplex scaling, which can be manually muted. I'll have to try that for my next recording.

I'm probably hitting the limits of this inexpensive mic so at some point I'll have to buy some real XLR mics. I'd love to get any tips for figuring out how to use EQ to make it sound better though.

Last edited:
Not bad for what is essentially a podcasting mic.
Surprising that it worked as the Yeti is a side-address mic and you have it pointed at the top cover.
Perhaps the sound is blending and bouncing back.
Hey, whatever works.

Back