Blue Snowball

malcolm123

So my son came home with one of these a while ago. I guess me telling him that we could not record
anything worth a d@mn until I get my microphones that have been put away since maybe 2005 or so.

I felt bad because I laughed at him when he showed it to me. I told him I knew about Blue mics, but that was
back in the day with like the Blue Bottle, etc. Then I saw it was USB and I laughed, but was curious myself.

So to clear my curiosity, I hooked the thing up, Set it up in DAW,,, then placed it on the coffee table (With no Pop Filter, In the middle of the room, Tv going in another room and all),,,,, then I let him record (No processing/effects). No take checks or nothing. I only looked at the waveform.

I used setting 2 because 1 seemed too loud ( I rather go up than down).

Muted the music an played back the 1st track only. D@mn thing picked up more than I ever though it would as far as noise while idle.
Vocals were cutting out mostly everything when speaking in the mic. Then I slapped a Gate on it. ( WOW, I laughed).. Then I compressed lightly. (Wow, I laughed Again)

You guys may also be laughing,, but my first thoughts were, "D@mn, has technology come this far, that a Mic out of Best Buy///USB, would sound like that?" Now he wants to know what are the 3 settings for. Hence: Why I'm back... I had to go pull my old gear.

I don't need to know how cheap it is, etc. etc.
It's just a FYI.... From a person who hasn't recorded in over 12 years or so.

LOL

I have a Blue Yeti at the moment, it's very good for the price but I am looking to upgrade my setup to an XLR.
It's does well for what it costs. The Latency on it bothers me, but if you use AllAsio it helps. It's hard to monitor with it in real time because of the lantecy.

XLR can't be beat, but if you must use USB i would go with a yeti or at2020. The snowball is not so great.

Back