Blue Microphones: Spark or Bluebird

TeenChristian

Hey there :)

Before, I was looking for a nice pair of small diaphragm condenser mics for acoustic recording, and I was looking at some SM81's for sale on the forums, but I'm starting to think of some different options. I've been looking into Blue microphones, in particular the Spark and Bluebird, because they seem to be good versatile mics that would definitely do well with acoustic and vocals. I was wondering what peoples experiences have been with either of these microphones. Which do you think I should consider more?

Thanks in advanced!

There is a blue spark here for sale as well - nearly half price!
I would use that and a SDC on an acoustic guitar. ;)

Do you think you would rate the Spark higher than the Bluebird for overall on acoustic and vocals? And could you point me to the thread with the sale :D

Thanks for the link. I just looked it over and it seems like the price is about $140 :) How do you think the spark and a Crown CM700 would sound on an acoustic compared to the bluebird? Right now I'm trying to compare what would be a better deal. A Spark and Crown totaling at around $265 or a bluebird totaling at $267. There both fairly close in price, it's just the quality that I'm trying to get a good understanding of.

Last edited:
they're totally different sounding mics.

anyone owning both or having used both will have easy answers here.

bluebird is a scooped, hifi sounding mic. in other words, mids are lower level than highs and lows. can work on vocals of course but not the typical goto mic eq you want for lead vocal recording. that being said, some people shine on a mic like this when singing.... not my choice though.

spark is a vocally tuned mic. it has a subtle increase in the presence area and HF area but a really nicely placed narrow dip right in the area that causes a lot of sibilance issues in many singers. it doesn't have a ton of LF body to it but as a result sits really well in a commercial mix. targeted particularly well to female pop singing imho. I used to hate the filter switch (wahtever the hell they call it) in use but now I prefer it on vocal recording. it solves numerous eq problems that I typically eq out when mixing, so just use that silly filter, record your voice and don't freak out about it sounding a little bit lacking in warmth... it's just sounding more "mixed" right from the mic.

the spark is one of the ONLY truly vocally eq'd mics you can get for under $200. the general consensus is that it's capsule is the same one in blue's top of the line handheld vocal condensor mic, the model 300. but in the spark imho it sounds a little nicer. I don't think it's an AMAZING vocal mic, but for it's money it's arguably the best bet.

excellent mic though for stupid cheap "sunday night dinner with the family" money.

bluebird is a really well designed and made utility or instrumental mic. it can work great on the right vocals but inherently is better suited to bg vocals since it's such a hifi scooped sound rather than in your face present middy sound like a typical lead vocal mic. I've always treated the bluebird as an instrumental mic for pop music and acoustic guitars.

Think about it this way - some of the greatest lead vocal studio mics (like the blue kiwi) have a frequency response plot that is vaguely similar to that of the blue spark. it's not nearly as magical as the expensive ones, but compared to a much more neutral affordable mic or a too-bright cheap mic the spark is a far superior choice for vocals and acoustic guitar.

the two together are a perfect low budget pair for recording group vocals with a lead singer on the spark.

all of them are way too cheap for the cool factor of such sexy looking mics, well made products, and good sounding audio devices.

here's a youtube example of a good female singer doing a brittney spears cover with a blue spark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Jvt6kjiAc

I think but could be wrong that the guitar was tracked with the spark as well... dont' recall for sure. prob says in the video.

youtube has lots of examples of hte blue spark in use. you'll notice a VERY consistent sound from recording to recording.... the spark has quite the signature high frequency tone to it. plenty of S sound without being sibilant. almost like a subtle deesser and exciter were used simultaneously. hence why it's so cool on pop and commercial vocals.

Don do you know if that is a mechanical filter or electronic?

electronic. it has what amounts to being a HP filter like most mics do, but they don't call it that. they call it something else because apparently what it ACTUALLY does is lower the capsule's polarization voltage, not put a filter into the output stage. but the EFFECT is that of a high pass filter like usual but also with a subtle compression thing going on and a very subtle presence peak increase as far as I can hear. I don't normally like this kind of thing, but in the spark it is an improvement when it comes to mixing time, and also the spark picks up plosives too easily but having htat switch enabled reducec them dramatically for whatever reason.

So, from what you said (which was extremely helpful I might add) if I'll mainly be going for nice acoustic guitar recording I should go with the bluebird. I would probably whichever one I get on mostly guitar considering I can't sing a bit :D

mmhh... This is true. I just watched a video of comparing an SM57 to a bluebird with acoustic guitar and personally I couldn't tell the difference. That makes me wonder how much money I would need to actual spend to get a better quality on acoustic guitar than my SM57.

Just as another option...I picked up a CAD m179 about 2 or 3 months ago. It's a multi-pattern LDC, and I've found that the omni mode sounds especially tasty on my acoustic. I've used an sm57 on it back in the day, and I can definitely tell a difference. The only draw on this mic is that I don't personally think it sounds good on lead vox (I use other stuff for vox anyway) but I think it's a pretty handy thing for the price to have around if you want a good instrument mic! I bought mine for $120ish, but I think they go for about $130 or $140 on Amazon.

Just as another option...I picked up a CAD m179 about 2 or 3 months ago. It's a multi-pattern LDC, and I've found that the omni mode sounds especially tasty on my acoustic. I've used an sm57 on it back in the day, and I can definitely tell a difference. The only draw on this mic is that I don't personally think it sounds good on lead vox (I use other stuff for vox anyway) but I think it's a pretty handy thing for the price to have around if you want a good instrument mic! I bought mine for $120ish, but I think they go for about $130 or $140 on Amazon.

Ive been thinking on getting a CAD mic for various aplications (drums, voice and electric guitar). Their cheap and seem to sound decent for the money. Would you suggest me to get one? I had considered e70, trion 8000 and m9.

BTW I have an akg c4000 which is not a neuman but is a very good mike, specialy for a begginer, so I would like another condenser that could get near in quality but lower price.

Back