Big Problems! help

Aquanaut

hi. i have a mackie 1402vlzPro and a cad m39 that aren't working well together.

everytime i turn on the mixer with phantom power, the mic works for a few seconds, then the power seems to die from it. and the mic barely works. i've tried numerous cables, even my blue cable isn't working.

any suggestions?

thanks - michael

Hmmm....

I'm definitely NOT qualified to help you, but I do have a list of questions that might better clarify your problem for someone who is:

1.) Do you get the same results whether the mic is plugged into inputs 1, 2, 3 and 4?

2.) Does your phantom power light stay on?

3.) Is there anything in the documentation for the M39 that suggests giving it 48V will harm it or cause it to shut down? (It's rated for 24V.)

4.) Do you have another condenser requiring phantom power, and if so, does it work OK on the same input channel?

5. ) This may sound stupid, but does wiggling your wires at the mic and the input change anything?

My worthless opinion is that it sounds like a simple switch or connection problem, not necessarily a serious problem with the mic or the mixer.

Good luck,

Mark H.

its the same on every channel. the mic requires 48v, its a large diaphram condenser. i've tried wiggling the cables, but it doesn't work. what happens is that the mic works for a few seconds, then, over on the meter bridge it stays around -10db's, and jumps up to around -4 or so every second or so. and when i record that, or hear the headphones, it sounds like a popping noise over and over. has anyone ever had this problem before?

Aquanaut

The problem may be in the Phantom Power itself. The board may not be putting out a true 48V. Many mics work on 12 to 24V. Try the mic on another board or mic pre as the CAD mics require a good deal of voltage to make them happy.

If it works on another board or pre, then you will need an external 48V supply for your mic to use on the Mackie. If it does not work, then your mic has the problem.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

You ARE using an XLR-to-XLR cable, right? I only ask because someone was having a problem a few threads back, and turned out he was using an XLR-to-1/4" cable...

yes. and i've tried numerous ones. a few just....eh, 'generic' ones that came w/ my sm57s, and my b.l.u.e. blueberry cable. same thing everytime.

I'm not sure what model the m39 is but I've got an E200 that had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. Does your mic have batteries inside of it? The E200 has 2 9 volt batteries inside that they claim increase voltage and blah, blah, marketing crap. They claim that the mic will work with either phantom OR batteries but it won't run off of just batteries, it has to have phantom AND batteries. So my advice would be to take the mic apart and see if it has batteries inside it. If it does, replace them with new ones and you'll be set...If it doesn't, I don't know what to tell you. Hope I helped.

Back