Big, cheap microphone for karaoke

Just to give you an update.

I got the SM58 and a Yamaha mixer for my parent's karaoke system. Just as I expected, one of the first things they said was the mic is too small.

I'm still messing around, but the SM58 does sound great. I still need to mess around, like I need to set the gain really high on the mic and do more adjustments on the background music's volume. I still need to find a way to make Windows output to HDMI and 3.5mm at the same time, because right now I'm forced to use my 3.5mm output on my HTPC, use a splitter, then use 3.5mm adapters, one directly to the receiver, and one that goes into the mixer. It's a bit too many adapters in the chain than I like.

Output the computer's sound into one of the Yamaha mixer's stereo line channels (via 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable, or 3.5mm to 2 x 1/4" adapters). Then plug the mic into another of the mixer's channels. Mix to taste. Send the mixer's main outputs to the stereo system or powered speakers. Depending on which mixer you got, and which stereo receiver you have, the main outputs may be 2 x 1/4" or 2 x RCA. So you may need adapters to connect it to your stereo system. Between the Yamaha and your power amp, there should be ample gain to make it loud enough for quite a large room.

Why don't you just tell your parents that size isn't all that matters, and like cellular phones smaller often is better. If they still want larger then go condenser - but those usually require phantom power, either from a battery or fed through the cable.

Back