Beyer M201 vs. Audix D1 on snare/m201 review

fenix

Okay...so I got a Beyer M201 the other day. I have never owned a beyer mic--most of my drum mics are audix and a couple shures. I bought the m201 because of its reviews and I was getting bored with my Audix D1.

Upon opening the box I immediately took notice of the construction quality of the m201. These little things feel so solid. They weight quite a bit considering the size. Being smaller than the D1 and beta57, I was a little aprehensive of its sound. So I A/B'd the Beyer M201 and Audix D1 on snare. Here are my results:

*both mics preamped with a Presonus digimax LT, recorded to PT LE.

Beyer Dynamic M201 vs. Audix D1:
-has less output than the Audix D1. Pad did not need to be engaged. With presonus turned all the way down, the meters were reading between -4 and -1 on hard snare hits. With the D1, the -20 pad did need to be engaged to avoid overs. Because of this, the Beyer needs less preamplification (that's a good thing!).
-The M201 has less high end than the D1.
-The M201 has a smoother, clearer, less gritty high end than the D1.
-The M201 has the same amount of off axis rejection as the D1.
-The bleed of the m201 sounds more "musical" than D1
-The sound of the m201 seems to focus on the body of the snare drum, ie, you can hear the wood (rather than the skin) more, but still offered plenty of attack. The D1 seemed to focus on the skin rather than the resonance. This is probably due to the D1's tighter pattern on the front of the mic.

Both mics were placed exactly the same way. 1 1/2 inch off the skin @ 10 oclock pointed between the rim and the point of impact.

Thanks for the review. Mine arrived in the mail today. I can't wait to try it out. It's a replacement for a sm57 on snare. From what I've been hearing, I won't be dissapointed.

So now you're ready for a 422 Beyer for the under snare mic...also try your D1 for under....it makes the snares really snappy...If you dont like it there be aware that it makes a GREAT harmonica mic...very pure tone

I haven't tried the m201 on snare yet, but it does good on just about everyhting I stick it at.

But you say it needs less amplification? I find it needs more, allthough I compared it to D2.

now get some D2's and compare. D2's might give you a better "wood" or body quality than D1's.

Then try out the EV408, 468 now.

But I do agree that the HF is smoother than Audix.

Back