Which is the better focusrite audio interface?

It depends on your needs really, but the Saffire 6 usb does have more features; MIDI in and out, 4 outs, and a monitor mix knob (to adjust between how much of the direct signal and playback you hear). Then again, if you don't need midi or 4 outs, the Scarlett 2i2 is pretty cool

Big hint: ALWAYS get more i/o than you THINK you'll actually need....

(It's expensive to get a 2-channel interface and then find out you need just another input or two.)

I've got the 2i2 and find myself missing that stupid little Mixer Knob!! But for the price, it's good.

If you're doing the one-man band thing, then you usually don't need more than 2 inputs unless you'll be recording drums.

I will rap and want the interface for my xlr mic. Does it do the job well?

Focusrite has a good reputation for nice mic pre's. I haven't used the 2i2 for vocals, so I don't really know. I do have a focusrite twintrack pro and use that for vocals. I like the way it sounds, but it has different circuitry, so I doubt it sounds similar to the scarlett series.

I will be selling the twintrack soon; getting something else.

With the style of music you want to do, you'll be spending a lot of time recording your voice over pre-mixed beats. For me, that puts the ability to create a direct monitor mix high on the list of what you need, which pushes towards the Saffire 6. Monitoring via your DAW will likely result in enough latency to put you just off the beat.

At this level, just list the ones which cover your needs (no. of inputs, DI, phantom power, whatever), close your eyes, and point.

It'll work. :)

not to trivialize this, but for everyone who likes X, there'll be someone who likes Y.

I'm a single artist. I'll be recording over instrumentals. WHich would be better. Dynamic mic but will get a condenser mic soon.
WHich should I go with then?

Back