Best USB preamp / audio interface for around £150...

Mike Rophoné

Best USB preamp / audio interface for around £150 / $245...

Thought I'd start a new thread for this...

I've decided on getting a USB audio interface as opposed to an analog preamp, due to the additional amount of money I'd need to spend on hooking up the analog preamp with my PC.

Now the question is, which USB audio interface do I go for? The options I'm looking at are below (in no particular order)...

Tascam US122 MK2 / US144 MK2
PreSonus Audiobox USB
Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4

So around the £150 area.

The audio interface will be used for recording podcasts and voice-over via an Electro-Voice RE20, but I will need two channels for the addition of a second mike.

I've heard the RE20 needs a lot of gain, so I'm looking for something capable of providing a hot enough, but CLEAN and clear signal for that particular mike, with plenty of dynamic range and clarity.

I also need to be able to monitor the audio via headphones and have as much control over the audio going in, as possible.

Being that I'll only be using this interface for recording vocals, I don't really need any functions unrelated to this application, but I don't mind if it means I'm getting an interface that produces better sounding audio.

At the end of the day, I'm just after the best sounding / most controllable option for my particular mike for around £150.

Anywho, I'm sure there are many things I've overlooked / not considered, so if you guys would weigh in and tell your opinions, suggestions, advice, etc, on this particular dilemma of mine, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers!

MR.

Last edited:
Well Mike,first off...are you coming out of a mixer with your RE-20? Somehow you didn't say what would be in front of this USB interface othr then your mic.And why the $150.00 range?My Tascam US-100 has a variable input and output which I run into my Mackie board,different inputs on the board of course.In analog...it didn't matter if the meters on a reel to reel bumped over in the red and came right back out....but with digital,it's usually instant distortion.So,the headroom on any mic you use will be calibrated on your USB interface.

Kenny - The plan is to hook up my RE20 to a preamp, and plug the preamp directly into the PC via USB. I haven't considered a mixer. £150 is all I can afford at the moment - That's approximately $245 at the current exchange.

Regarding the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, Gearwire posted a review that mentions....

"Unfortunately, the Onyx Blackjack doesn’t include features found on other interfaces in its price range, such as pads, low-cut switches, or control-panel software. Nor does it have S/PDIF I/O, support for MIDI, or give you 88.1 and 96 kHz sampling rates."

My questions are, do I need low-cut controls on an interface if I use the RE20's low-cut filter? And what other interfaces in the Blackjack's price range include the features lacking in the Blackjack?

Do a little more research before you end up too far down a wrong road...

You will need both an interface and a preamp, although both can be built into the same "box".

For example, the ART Tube MP Project Series is billed as a preamp with a built-in USB interface, while the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is billed as a USB interface with built-in preamps.

And to further muddy the waters, I have an Alesis MultiMix 4 which is a mixer with preamps and a USB interface.

First...assess your needs, especially for headphone and monitor outputs. Determine how many preamps you need based on the maximum number of microphones you would ever possibly connect (keeping in mind that whatever you buy you will find out that you are always one preamp short).

Then, after finding out what you need from a "physical" standpoint, look for a preamp/interface/whatever that will meet those needs while providing the best quality you can fit into your budget. Try not to get taken in by "bells and whistles" while keeping in mind that some of them are very valuable and often needed tools.

And good luck...

Bdenton - All I know is that I'd like the following...

PC / Mac connectivity
x2 XLR channels
Phantom power
Low-Cut / High-Pass Filter
Pad control
High dynamic range
High sample rates
High gain for the RE20
Headphone monitoring
A reasonable amount of headroom

Plus anything else I've over looked or don't know about, but might possibly need. :)

This whole preamp business is very confusing for me. Way too many options and choices.

I've been using the Saffire 6, and it rocks all the way !
For everything u say, mind u it just has ONE output for headphones.

I've been using the Saffire 6, and it rocks all the way !
For everything u say, mind u it just has ONE output for headphones.

Get this

If you have not bought a interface yet. I work at Guitar Center I've had the privilege of using many interfaces and preamps. I personally bought use and love the focusrite pro 24 dsp. With that said the saffire usb 6 is going to have you best sounding preamp its what focusrite is known for. Also Focusrite has now release the scarlet series, difference? more line inputs outputs and it usb 2! The scarlet runs $249.99 If you don't to wait go for the saffire 6.

Back