Best Overhead DrumMics

ndycus1

I am about to buy all of the needed mics to use on a drumset. My kit mics will include a Shure SM57, four Sennheiser MD421's, and an AKG D112. I'm not sure what overheads to get. Ones that I have considered include Shure SM81's and AKG C414's. The budget is around $1000 per microphone. Also, if you have a recommendation for a hi-hat mic, that would be appreciated too. Thank You.

Well, with $1000 per microphone, you can definitely probably get something pretty darn good ("good" being a really subjective word here).

That said, I like my Josephson C42 matched pair ($900). (I've read they're like KM184s, but I've never personally tried those.)

You're going to have to decide what kind of sound you want. In particular, are you looking for a small diaphram or large diaphram microphone? They give pretty drastically different responses.

I would suggest you rent a few microphones and try them out on your playing and equipment before you spend a ton of money.

For small diaphram condensors, the Neumann 184s are sweet. On the other hand, is the rest of your signal chain such that you'll hear the difference between something like the Neumanns and a cheaper (but good) microphone like the MXL603, or the SP C4, or the MC012? Heck, if you have a good room, you may get the sound you want from behringer ecm8000 microphones and save a ton of money to use on other things.

-lee-

Shure KSM 32. My fave OH mic at any price and you will have a lot left over for other stuff.

ndycus1 said:
The budget is around $1000 per microphone.

you will be able to get a good pair.

i would check out the josephsons or earthworks.

but i also feel that you dont have to spend all 2k of your money to get a great pair of overhead mics.

if i were in your shoes, i would look into a pair of ksm44's or something of that nature, and either bank the leftover cash,or put in other areas of your set-up.

414's are actually excellent high hat mics. ndycus1, if you've got a budget around $2000 for a pair of OH mics, you really oughta take a look at the Gefell M295's. Stunning mics! Nickle diaphragms - that will last forever. Gefell is the company owned by the Neumann family. Gefell mics are the real Neumanns. The M295 is a no-excuses high-end mic with all the sonics your ears have been tuned to listening to music tracked on classic German mics. Although the M295's are "pencil mics" they're actually large condensers with 1" capsules. Mics don't get any better than the M295.

http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_4_prod_1.htm

ndycus1 said:
I am about to buy all of the needed mics to use on a drumset. My kit mics will include a Shure SM57, four Sennheiser MD421's, and an AKG D112. I'm not sure what overheads to get. Ones that I have considered include Shure SM81's and AKG C414's. The budget is around $1000 per microphone. Also, if you have a recommendation for a hi-hat mic, that would be appreciated too. Thank You.
I like matched Josephson C42's on overheads, and the Shure SM81 is a great hi-hat mic.

A pair of 414's certainly isn't a bad way to go. You will also find MANY other uses for them as well, and you will never need to kick them out of your mic locker:)

The Josephson C42's that are being recommend are excellent mics in the $1K/pair range. But if you've got a budget of $1K per mic, you can get into entirely new territory. The Gefell M295's are in a completely different league than the C42's. C42 is like a built-in-USA M Class Mercedes. M295 is like a built-in-Germany Mercedes SLR McLaren.

Back