Best mics for rap vocals? Singing vocals?

Dj, since you're in "Music City" the best way is to probably audition different microphones at a reputable dealer.
Find out what kind of return policy they have so you can try
one out at home. Some other info would be handy too like:

1) What's your budget limit?
2) Is this microphone(s) for live use and/or recording?

There are many other well regarded manufacturers besides the
ones you listed BTW. Just remember that the best microphone is
the one that sounds BEST on your voice, or the person you're
recording! (and the more expensive one isn't always best)

Best of luck on your quest,
Chris

DjWarrenPeace said:
Is Shure, Neumann, AKG, or Audio Technica the best for vocals?

Good vocal and rap mikes start about $200 and go up into to the thousands of dollars. What price range did you have in mind Dj ? Will it be used on stage, in the studio, or both ?

Mics?

I am a recording industry major at MTSU and we use alot of different types of Mics, alll I was tryin to do is see what your opinions were so that I may base my next purchase on what I know and what you tell me, I have no price range becuase I want the best, and this is for studio recording, I use sm57's and a few others for live performance.

Please don't take offense, but I'm assuming you are just starting your schooling, because by the time you graduate, you will hopefully realize that your question, at least as phrased, is not meaningful.

"Is Shure, Neumann, AKG, or Audio Technica the best for vocals"?

Let me explain why, on many levels, this is a nonsensical question:

Each of the four brands you mentioned make dozens of models of mics. To mention only the brands without specifying particular models would be like asking: Which is the best cereal: Kelloggs, General Mills, Post, or Quaker. Since each brand has so many varieties, the question becomes silly. In addition, you left out many other equally popular brands, seemingly at random (like Earthworks, Manley, Brauner, Soundelux, Schoeps, BLUE, EV, Sennheiser, and dozens more). Since you apparently just chose four names at random, it also makes the question a bit odd.

Within those brands are mics that differ drastically in quality and application. So in another way, your question is like asking: "Which is better - a Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini? A Lexus or a Hummer? A pick-up truck or a jet ski?

Obviously, there is no right answer to those questions, just as there is no right answer to yours. If you don't believe me, ask one of your "professors" at school the exact question you asked us, and see what kind of a response you get.

We're not picking on you, just trying to point out that even if there WAS a right answer to your question, it seems fairly obvious that you don't have the knowledge or background yet to make use of the information. The proof is, that even Harvey - who is practically the Dalai Llama around here (compared to most of us) couldn't resist giving you a somewhat sarcastic answer.

Hang out here a while and read the hundreds of threads about "best microphones". You'll gain knowledge quickly, and combined with your schooling, I'm you'll soon be asking questions that are insightful and thought provoking. Good luck.

P.S. What does "MTSU" stand for?

Re: Mics?

DjWarrenPeace said:
I have no price range becuase I want the best, and this is for studio recording

Then I'd say Neumann (U47, U87, etc.) if I had to pick one of them that you listed. Unless you're talking about the AKG C12, which is right up there with the neumanns.

I understand that most of you have very insightful info for me to learn from, that is all I was trying to gather, info. Yes I am new to the site and a new student at MTSU and I am not trying to be a pest or anything. I have recently understood that this is not a question that can be a simple yes or no, right or wrong answer. All I am asking for is info to lower my options on which mic to purchase for studio use. Peace

Here, the question I asked was interpreted wrong, and had a bad choice of words.............. Which one would YOU choose to buy out of all the types of mics to purchase, and give reasons why?

To those of you who actually tried to be helpful and provide info that was meaningful, thank you. For the ones who consider themselves to be all knowing and only type in htese boards to prove their intelligence (in music matters, forget common sense), get a life, go try to produce a good record, and stop trying to put others down. Peace

To those of you who actually tried to be helpful and provide info that was meaningful, thank you. For the ones who consider themselves to be all knowing and only type in these boards to prove their intelligence (in music matters, forget common sense), get a life, go try to produce a good record, and stop trying to put others down. Peace

I don't have experience with most of these mikes but I study what pro studios are using and what a few local musicians I know are using.

AKG 414 - very popular with vocalists and an all around workhorse

Audio Technica 4060- slightly dark sounding tube mic that has a personality

Rode NTK- highly regarded by home recording people, it's a tube mic for $500 Excellent choice for the money. I own the Rode NT 1000 and it is a non-tube version. I haven't recorded a good vocalist yet, just myself :rolleyes:

Shure SM7- dynamic mic

Neumann TLM 103 great reviews and reputation

You can check some of the online retailers for the prices on these mikes. Any of these mikes would be outstanding with a great preamp. Good luck DjWarrenPeace

I am not at all thinking about what I am saying before i write, don't think of my charcter negatively, I am simply a young mind learning and trying to discover new options.

the really funny thing is, after hanging out here a couple of months, you'll be sincerely answering some of these same questions posed by the next crop of newcomers... and a few of them will probably resent YOUR efforts and tone too! :p

P.S. Did you find that earlier thread yet that answered almost your exact question in great detail? If you have real interest in this subject, it would be worth your while to look at it.

Back