Best Mic for Video Demonstrations - eliminating noise and background noise

Domenic

Hi there. I am currently look for a reasonably priced mic to help with the audio quality on the video demonstrations my company shoots for our customers. I can't post links yet but you can Youtube search Ironside Computers to see some of our videos.

It's a bit of a confusing situation because the studio we shoot in is at our warehouse location, so there is occasional background noise from employees or cars driving by. I really just want to record the voice of the demonstrator with a professional sounding quality, and as little background noise/echo as possible, no post production editing involved (if possible). I just purchased a Rode Video Mic and have been testing it out, it seems to actually record more static and background noise then the built in mic we were using.

I can't use a mic that would be used for something like radio/podcast because the video demonstrator is constantly moving around the computer to point at different components. I was considering a lavalier mic but I have read that the quality for the price is much lower. I'm trying to stay at around $150 if possible.

Any recommendations on what kind of mic we should be looking at?

I just purchased a Rode Video Mic and have been testing it out, it seems to actually record more static and background noise then the built in mic we were using.

That seems strange, all the people I know that use them find them very good, which model is it and how is it connected to the camera?

Another way to go is a separate shot gun mic which is on a pole so it can be held just out of picture close to the person speaking, the shotgun pattern helps eliminate background noise and building acoustics.

Alan.

Back