Best mic type for my voice ?

JakeyMort

Hey everyone, I know you probably read questions like this all the time and are fed up of seeing them but just wanted some general advise.

I'm a male singer who sings in his upper register 99% of the time, bass of my voice (not much bass) sits around 200hz which I believe is high for males, I may be wrong but I remember seeing somewhere most males are bout 130ish.

in terms of song styles I sing pretty much anything but mainly whatever is getting lots of radio play at the time whether that be ed sheeran, drake, adele etc etc but in terms of how I sing them I would compare it to R&B from 5-10 years ago like ne-yo, usher, early chris brown etc

so any suggestions ? I'm not looking for a specific model suggestion, more like "use a ldc because....." or "use a ribbon/tube because...." and that sort of thing

I don't think it's a matter of LDC or ribbon...etc....it's just a matter of trying some mics and finding one that works.

If you are a high tenor, then look for mics that really shine on tenor and female voices...but I would think you could start with any basic vocal mics, and just find one that complements your voice.

Without really hearing your voice...kinda hard to suggest specifics.

Of course if you want more lower end body to beef up your voice, then look for ones that are richer in the low end.
In that regard, ribbon mics tend to be beefy in the lows, and they roll off the bright highs.

yeh I get what you mean just not sure whether complimenting a tenor-ish voice with a bright mic or countering it with a beefy low end mic is better, like do I extenuate the good aspects or make up for the weaker aspects

Back