Best mic for tambourine ? (Harvey?)

Stefan Elmblad

I'm gonna record some tambourine tracks and was wondering which mic does this best ?

I have a Neumann TLM103 on it's way to my studio soon but even though it's a good mic, I don't know if it's the right choice ?

When the tambourine is played it moves over a not to small area, so maybe I need an wide-cardiod or omni for this ?

Also, as the key jangling test suggests, sound sources with lots of high frequency overtones is hard for mics to capture, and I can imagine this also applies in some ways to the tambourine ?

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

I like an omni (ECM8000 or Audix TR-40) for tambourine, but the TLM103 will work just fine.

Keep the mic anywhere from 18" to 24" above the tambourine; don't get too close.

Keep your recording levels pretty low; peaks should be no higher than -10dB on any meters in the recording chain. Tambourines put out a tremendous amount of high frequency energy and it's very say to clip (distort) a stage in the recording chain. Watch the levels VERY closely.

Record flat, or roll off some bottom end (everything below about 100Hz) to keep from picking up room rumble.

If the tambourine player is inconsistent, add a small amount of fast compression during mixdown to even out the playing (usually no more than 3 or 4 dB lighting up, at 2:1 or 4:1 ratio, fastest attack, medium release).

Add a little boost (a couple of dB) at 12kHz during playback for some extra sheen, if needed.

Harvey said it all.

I use an Earthworks QTC myself, which is basically a more expensive (and quieter) ECM8000. The main thing is don't ever get closer than 24" to the mic - or you'll start hearing the "jangling keys" artifacts.

"Keep the mic anywhere from 18" to 24" above the tambourine; don't get too close. "

That's interesting, micing from above. Is there something to that, or just keeping the good distance way?
Thanks
wayne

I think Mr.Gerst means mic from above because of the way the tambourine is played. If you mic from the front of you, you'd have to sway it differentely , to capture sound from the full movement ?

If you put the mic 24" in front of the tambourine, as sure as hell, the player will wind up moving in 18" or more by the end of the song.

Back