Best mic for male rap/rnb vocals?

CharleyBrown

I'm currently looking into buying a mic for male rap vocals...may use it a bit for male rnb vocals...been looking at the AKG C3000B or the AT4033...any suggestions? it will be going through a Mackie VLZ Pro 1202 and then into my Delta 44...Really looking for high quality around that price range...any help is appreciated...

I'd stay away from the C3000B.

You might want to consider a good quality dynamic amongst your possibilities like the EV RE20 or RE27, Sennheiser 421, or the Shure SM7. They can handle the SPL of some wild vocal performances.

^^^ can't find any info on SONY 800G...any other suggestions? Looking for home studio recording mic around price of AT...

any reason why to stay away from AKG C3000B?

Because it has a nasty hyped high end. And the Sony my be just a tad out of your stated price range.:D
Good suggestions on the dynamic mics.

CharleyBrown said:
how much is the sony running?

About 20 C3000's.

Interesting how so many people don't put up any geographical info. If we knew even approximately where the questioners were located, we could make suggestions as to where to audition mics, etc.

I guess they're afraid we will stalk them and sneak into their studios and steal their C3000's! :p

aight...I'm from the city of Poughkeepsie, about an hour north of NYC. I go to school at Ithaca College. I have a spit screen, a high quality one, I have a decent amount of equipment, much more than I listed. Can anyone please give me some real legit info? You mention Dynamic Mics? how do they compare to the AT, and why choose them over the AT...I figure people on this board would give some legit answers and I haven't gotten much. Damn what it take to get an answer here. pz

and yes, I would go and test mics, but unfortunately there is no Mars Music or what not in Poughkeepsie. As for Ithaca...this place is the middle of no-where...there is nothing in that realm here, I've looked and looked. Trust, I'd rather test the mic for my own vocals and the groups' I work with, but I don't have the resources for that so thats why I'm posting here. I've heard alright things about the AKG C3000B...thats why I asked. I know Behringer's are awful. Rode's...I'm shaky about...I've heard good things about AT...never heard of these ElectroVoices and what not...

you might think about the Electro voice N/D series mics. I have had 2. I still have a N/D257B. It is mostly a live mic, but it can take lips on the screen low end belting. They can also be had for cheap. I also have a AT 3035 that you can get pretty agressive with. I use it about 4 to 6 inches out with a pop screen between me and it. I do have to use the 10db pad and the high pass filter. $200.00 with boom stand & cord.

Check the spl ratings of the 4033 against that of the 3035. I have also used a rode nt2 that I was very happy with the results (in a studio with no EQ)

Good luck

F.S.

PS I have a pretty low and powerfull voice (sorta like a rapper) and have met some mics I had to stay a ways back from.

Freudian Slip said:
you might think about the Electro voice N/D series mics. I have had 2. I still have a N/D257B. It is mostly a live mic, but it can take lips on the screen low end belting. They can also be had for cheap. I also have a AT 3035 that you can get pretty agressive with. I use it about 4 to 6 inches out with a pop screen between me and it. I do have to use the 10db pad and the high pass filter. $200.00 with boom stand & cord.

Check the spl ratings of the 4033 against that of the 3035. I have also used a rode nt2 that I was very happy with the results (in a studio with no EQ)

Good luck

F.S.

PS I have a pretty low and powerfull voice (sorta like a rapper) and have met some mics I had to stay a ways back from.

thanx for an actual response man...finally someone came through :)

I have a somewhat high voice, but am aggressive with the mic...I've been told time and time again I sound just like Ghostface Killah of Wu Tang if that gives any of u help in picking the right mic...

Then you definatly should use a dynamic. even with a spit screen the plosives your voice will put out will make you wish you had.

A sennheiser 421 or a EV re20 or even the sm57 will be fine, its just yelling, theres no sense in investing in an expensive mic.:rolleyes:

I wish I was more familier with Ghostface Killah, but I am not. The EV N/D257 has a good close up effect on higher voices (I think). The at 3035 is way more flat but has a slight boost on the high end. You can always dial some out, but I get the feeling some people could clash with this mic. You may want to get one from a place that has a very good return policy (musicians friend). I got mine at 8th steet with the boom stand. I can way that with this mic and the suspension you do not have to have a boom stand.
If you get one give it a good workout before you come to any conclusions. If you are not used to a condensor mic you will more than likely have to work your way through some gain problems. Also you will need phantom power.

I think the fact that this mic has a 10db pad and has a bass roll off makes it pretty versitile for the price range.

F.S.

I'm posting here. I've heard alright things about the AKG C3000B...thats why I asked. I know Behringer's are awful. Rode's...I'm shaky about...I've heard good things about AT...never heard of these ElectroVoices and what not... [/B]

IMO

The Rode NT1000 is the the most accurate Mic I have ever heard and I prefer my Berry B1 to my AT4033s and the B2 is also well thought of.

If you have heard the Berrys and think they are awful then fair enough

If you want a Mic for live work have a look at the AKG C900 it needs phantom power but it has enormous presence and cuts thru the mix ( no bloated or boomy mid range like a lot of dynamics)

Tony

If the guy is recording rap, run like hell from the condencer. You will spend a ton on a mic which is bet suited to record instruments while the Dynamic will do the job without introducing alot of problems. The last thing you want is the condencers popping every time you say a line, replacing them every session because the capsule will be dystroyed. Now if this was for singing maybe, but rap , NO!!:rolleyes:

Sorry Charley,

I was kidding on the Sony 800g it is mighty expensive over $6000 I think...but as far as I know that is THE mic for Rap/RnB right now...besides that retro classics...

Allen Hyat if you are reading this...no one has made a descent priced Sony 800g type mic... can this be stephan Paul's next project maybe?

There are enough U47/U67/U87 clones...

Allen make it happen!

i saw phil keaggy on tv yesterday. he appeared to be singing into an EV cobalt mic onstage. a good plug for EV.

if you get an AT condenser you can holler at it from a distance and get one type of sound.

an sm58 held close up will give you another kind of sound.

which is better? we cant tell you.

you can get an AT 3035 for 200$ and a 58 for 100$ and find out for yourself.

just dont try to make up your mind right away as you will have to work with them to see what you can do and you may change your mind 6 mos. down the road.

:)

Back